Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Declawing cats!!!!!!!!?

Who has had their cats declawed and do you regret it?

I recentlly asked a question and found out that declawing is a very bad nad painful surgery for cats..so please dont tell me cuz i have had enough people tell me that its mean.

Also my mom had got our cat declawed and my mom said that after she recovered she was fine....and that cat was a good cat and it had no health problems and lived to be 16 years old....and now i want to get myself a cat and my mom said that if she lets me get a cat declawed it MUST be declawed cuz she doesnt want all the furniture ruined..and i showed her all my other answers and now she said that she feels bad for doing it to our old cat but still thinks that it must be declawed...so can u please tell me if u have had ur cat declawed and if u regret it and maybe some alternatives instead of having to get it declawed cuz i realize it is really cruel and mean.

BTW.i am asking you for your help....and i want facts but please dont call me or my mom rude, ignorant,mean,animal abusers or anything like that cuz trust me we arent and we dont want the cat to b in pain so please HELP.

thanks.

BTW.....it will b an indoor cat....wont ever go outside and i guarentee u that.

Best Answer

I alrready answered your question about adopting from Petsmart and gave you a link to how to train a cat to use a scratching post:

http://clawsforever.ning.com/group/anniesbible/for...

Now I'll give you a link to TRUE horror stories about what has happened to cats being declawed or after declawing:

http://clawsforever.ning.com/group/thehorribletrut...

Please get your mom to read them, these things can and DO happen often.

You can't guarantee a cat won't ever get out, supposing you got burgled when no one was home ? A cat would naturally escape if possible,God help it if not, because if you knew some of the things house breakers do to cats, you'd have nightmares, a cat without claws would have no chance !

You must convince your mom a cat is born with claws because it needs them. Declawed cats are called 'disabled' If your mom wants a disabled cat, please ask her to get one from a rescue shelter, don't let her disable another cat.

I don't know how some people can say its OK as the cat is under aneasthetic for the operation , yes , but they don't say the cat has to wake up, in agony.On that horror story page is one bit from a person who works at a vets, she hears the cats scream !!!

I do know what I'm talking about,I worked for vets all my working life and learned a lot about cats ! No vet I worked for would declaw, even when it was legal in our country, because they are trained to help animals, not to mutilate them.

I know you are in an awkward position, trying to make your mom listen, but please try and try again as you obviously aren't happy about the procedure yourself otherwise you wouldn't keep coming back on here with questions.You say you don't want the cat to be in pain, but she will if she's cripped by declawing !

Source(s): retired vet nurse

I had a cat declawed, and I have regretted every minute for the past 15 years.

At the time, I did not understand what the procedure was and the vet never explained it. I had seen other de-clawed cats that didn't seem to have too many problems and Everyone made it sound like it was the be-all and end-all . It sure was that, alright. I have had a very angry cat for a long time.

The first were the litter issues. It took a long time before I could get him back to using the litter box and he still refuses to use it sometimes when he is angry at me. Then was the transferred aggression. What went from scratching furniture and me went to biting, and hard. He would literally rip the fabrics off furnishings and beds with his mouth. I ended up having to have every tooth in his head removed for everyone's safety. A friend came over with her dog, and for some reason the dog went after the cat and ended up mauling his back leg. If the cat had had claws -- or even teeth at that point -- he could have defended himself, but the leg was hurt so badly it had to be amputated. He is virtually a cripple. His front legs are deformed and he is in pain from not being able to stretch and exercise the ligaments, and has a great deal of trouble getting around.

If you want a de-clawed cat, there is a very simple solution -- go to a shelter. There are many, many declawed cats available at the shelters. Bear in mind that these cats are there for a reason -- probably because of some behavior problem as a result of de-clawing. However, often a cat will be better with a new owner as the cat doesn't associate the new owner with his mutilation. If a kitten is done young enough it is less likely to suffer the traumas, but the older a kitten/cat becomes, the more likely that issues will arise. I adopted a de-clawed cat from the shelter and my other cat evidently didn't recognize him as a threat and they get on well, and I haven't had any major personality problems with the declawed cat, although he does have his evil moments. I have since adopted a cat with claws, and while it took time, a cat can be "encouraged" to claw in the correct spots, and I've found a kitty condo jungle gym type thing to be the solution. Do a little research on training your cat not to claw or scratch.

Good luck.

http://www.squidoo.com/anti-declaw

http://maxshouse.com/Truth%20About%20Declawing.htm

http://groups.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=gro...

I've never had a cat declawed. In my life (22 years) I've had a total of 7 cats. ALL indoor and ALL have/had their claws. Cats can be trained not to do stuff just like dogs do.

People who say their cat was 'fine' after surgery forget the fact that cats inherintly don't show pain unless they are near death's door. Your cat could be in huge amounts of pain from the surgery and you would have no idea because it's ingrained for them to hide it. It's a survival tactic.

The argument against declawing isn't that it ends cats lives shorter, many declawed cats live to be 16, 17 even 20. The argument is that it is inhumane and can result in WORSE behaviors than you're dealing with currently. Namely peeing outside the litter box and biting.

If you really have to have a declawed cat, you should check out your local humane society to adopt an adult cat who is already declawed. Believe it or not there are loads of them out there, and then you can have the declawed cat you want, but not be the one responsible for mutilating them.

Good luck and I hope you make the right choice.

I know that there are declawed cats at the shelter that you can adopt.

If I were you, I'd get one of those if you MUST have a cat with no claws.

My cats have claws and i trim them once every 2-3 weeks or so. They like it (cuz i pet them a lot and do it well!) They don't do anything to our furniture, but we do have 3 scratching posts strategically placed next to the bed, sofa and dining room rug.

I love my pets like they are little beings with their own feelings and lives. My stuff comes second to them. If they ruin a sofa- does it really matter? also, you can try things like taping foil to sofa arms and stuff like that to make them stop doing it.

My friend declawed her cat, but she cares about her sofa more than her cat. She's nice to her cat, but ultimately her new sofa is what she loves more.

• Babz

I have never had a cat declawed and never would, I would rather walk in front of a moving express train than subject a cat to this horrible mutilation, therefore I have no personal experience but here you go http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/declawstory.html read the stories on here and be prepared to feel ill!!!!!

I can't believe you mother knows the pain and trauma that declawing causes to cats and yet still insists on it, please just forget about wanting a cat if it comes down to either mutilating a cat or not having one.

First of all, cats can be trained not to destroy furniture. As well, having an exciting scratching post helps. My cat was declawed by her previous owners (we would never do that to a cat) and she bites us a lot more then another cat would, because she has no claws to use as self defence.

I have a declawed cat, and 3 cats with claws. The declawed cat came to us as an adult, and was never accepted into the "family" of other cats. She now lives in my office at work. She is an outside cat, 15 years of age and still going strong. I've seen her draw blood from dogs, claws or not. She does bite more, but seems to have no problems with defending herself. It is not something I would ever choose for my other cats.

if cats run away and they are declawed it wouldn't survive. A good thing to get is a scratching post or what I do is Put some off cuts of carpet on a wall so they won't scratch the furniture

Source(s): Cat owner

I don't like the ideal of declawing cats. You never know when they might get out. And will need their claws for protection. But if you feel you need to, just remove their front claws. That away they can still climb some to get out of reach of predators. You can train cats to use a cat scratching post. I hope you try training before declawing.

• .

I have 4 adult cats. They have their furniture, I have mine. They haven't destroyed my furniture since I trained.

My cat BeBe uses his scratching posts and cat tree. BeBe is leashed trained.

BeBe knows:

Sit

lay down

touch it

no

leave it

paw

Shut up

And he's learning much more. Cats CAN be trained.

That being said I have 3 rescue cats that are front declawed. 2 of them were found as strays this one, one was rescued from an abusive home.

All three of htese cats bite hard. None of them can go to homes with young children due to this. They've broken the skin before.

All three of these cats hate having their paws touched.

Soft paws is a great aternative. I trim my cats claws. I do this because I don't want to be hurt. I allow my cats to hang on my shoulder and one likes to climb up my leg lol So I trim them in order to save my skin some damage. I could teach them not to but I honestly don't mind it.