jiygfk asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

How many calories should I be eating--I need to lose a lot of weight?

Hi. I have already lost 34 lbs but it has taken me 15 months to do so. I am 5'4, female, 218 lbs, and 20 years old. I currently eat 1800 calories a day and exercise 4-5 times a week. I feel like the weight loss should be going at least a little faster (nothing drastic of course).

Best Answer

1800 calories a day is a very good level. You might try varying your calories from one day to the next which might "shock" your body into more efficient weight loss - 1800 one day, 1500 the next day, then 2000 the next day. At the same time, vary your exercise routines more and that will also help.

Weight loss is an overall process and there are no magic answers. Pay no attention to weight loss supplements and pills and all the latest fads. You need to think about many factors but most of them are related to issues we've known about for a very long time. There are many sensible things you can do that will make a tremendous difference over the long term if you need to lose weight. It can be done in a healthy way. This is what has worked for me.

Keeping a food journal really does help. It will give you a much better sense of how much you are eating, and when, and why.

Make a few additional small changes - walk everywhere, always use stairs instead of elevators, walk on escalators, get up and move around at least once an hour if your work or your life in general is sedentary, walk every day, use a pedometer. Walking 10,000 steps a day is a really good idea. Build up to a long brisk walk everyday, or most days. Be more active and watch less TV and spend less time on the computer. Buy one piece of exercise equipment to have at home and be strict with yourself about using it. Sometimes you can find mini-steppers or exercise bikes at second hand stores and thrift stores for just a few dollars.

Start a weight lifting routine. Join a gym. Possibly you can find one that has someone who specializes in weight lifting programs for beginners. Weight lifting will increase your metabolism as well as improve posture and appearance overall. Even if you can't get to the gym you can work out at home using things around the house. Invest in a good weight training book. The Dummies series actually has a good one.

In terms of diet, cut out or reduce things like junk food, pop, fat, fast food. Eat more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meat, fish. Particularly if you choose a vegetarian lifestyle include natural peanut butter, hummus, dried fruit and nuts. Pay close attention to getting the nutrients your body needs to be healthy.

Make your portion sizes smaller. Use a smaller plate - in our society we have become accustomed to thinking that we need a large plate of food at every meal, and we don't. About quarter of your plate of food should be protein and at least half of it should be veggies.

Learn to count calories. At your current weight and activity level, you may possibly need about 2000 calories or more to maintain your current weight. So you will lose weight at a reasonable and healthy rate if you cut back to about 1600 or 1700 calories a day.

Eat small amounts frequently, rather than three large meals. Never skip breakfast. Include some protein in your breakfast. It will help get you through the day.

Drink plenty of water, at least 8 big glasses of water a day, and more if it is very hot, if you sweat a lot, or if you are exercising intensely, and eliminate fruit juices. Fruit juices have too many calories, so get your vitamins from fresh fruit, not the juice. You will begin to see changes in your body.

An area that many people overlook is getting enough sleep. You are much more likely to overeat or to binge eat if you are tired and not well rested, so get enough sleep.

Check out websites about nutrition, exercise, weight training, etc. Here are a few helpful links.

http://www.nutrawatch.com/

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/

http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_eating_diet....

http://www.wikihow.com/Lose-Weight-the-Healthy-Way

http://weightloss.about.com/cs/fitness/a/aa011503a...

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/no-...

Hey Jessica,

It sounds like you're doing a great job already! I find that counting calories is not usually the best way to lose weight. Anywhere between 1600-2000 is an "average" number of calories to consume a day, but it all depends on how your body functions on those calories. The more active you are, the more calories you need to consume to keep yourself going! Look at Michael Phelps, he eats like 6000+ calories a day and is very fit!

You should try to focus more on WHAT you're eating, not how many calories are in it. If you are eating 1800 calories a day, but that's 18 donuts you are not going to get anywhere. Plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, water, and unprocessed foods are best.

Try to focus on what a great job you've done already, and not so much on how fast you get it done. You've lost 34 pounds! That's fantastic! Keeping goals is a good way to help as well, such as "I will fit into those cute jeans by May!" or, "I will run a mile every day for a week!"

Talking to your doctor or a dietitian may also be good ideas. I think you're doing great though, keep up the good work!

Source(s): Glamour magazine Personal experience

Important things to look at is... what type of food are you eating? when are you eating? do you have breakfast?

these impact on weight loss no matter what calories they contain. eating at regular times through out the day is important so that you do not startve your body of the nutrients it needs from your workouts. breakfast is a must... this is how i managed to lose 45lbs in 6 months.. along side with excercise.. i started eating breakfast and was actually eating more than i was previously.

what type of excercise do you do 4-5 times a week?.... there are some really effective excercise routines, but there are also some that are ineffective.

have a specific goal in mind which will make u want to push yourself.. mine was that i wanted to lose a couple of dress sizes for my 21st birthday.

feel free to message me and we can talk about this some more if you wish..... i have lost 45lbs and along my way i hope i have gained some knowledge which can help you :)

Source(s): me

1800 calories a day is definitely a low enough amount for someone of your weight. Much lower and your body would go into almost a starvation mode. I would suggest that instead of cutting calories, you make the calories you are eating healthier. Cut out red meats, excessive carbohydrates and almost all sugars and artificial sweeteners. Replace them with fish, chicken and natural sugar like fruits and and the rate that you lose weight should increase

• Apathy

No, if you are exercising and eating a good amount of calories like you are now, it should be fine. Make sure you are doing the cardio to burn the calories and also if you are losing 1-3 pounds a week, that is ideal weight loss.

1400

Lord, people, 1800 calories is a normal healthy caloric intake. If you wanna lose weight and stay healthy you need to cut it down a few hundred a day and keep up the exercise routine. If you are interested in going a bit faster, as you've indicated in your question, then cut it back. When you meet your goal then increase your intake to 1800 and keep exercising.

• Power

I have heard so many stories of weight loss & you are doing it the best way. Keep doing what you are doing cause it will stay off the way you are doing it. I think if you are eating healthy & losing weight the way you are just keep going..some times people stop losing or slow down cause the body needs to adjust so if you go through that just keep doing what you have.

If you are loosing weight on 1800 a day, even slowly stay with that and increase the amount exercise you are doing each time.

You could probably cut down to 1600 calories, but you also need to focus less on ponds and more on inches and such. By exercising your burning calories and fat but gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. You should also see how many calories your burning during your workouts. Because some exercise build more muscle, but don't burn very many calories. Many arm exercises for example.

I've lost 5 kilos in my first week. It's my 10th day and I have included salad with some protein (eg. egg/ lean chicken) as you suggested. After 4 years of trying, the fat is finally coming off. It truly feels like magic!

Get started today!