Why do some parents desperately try to shield their children/teens from seeing 'R' rated films?

Honestly, I was reading some questions on here that were just ridiculous. For instance, a mother was trying to keep her 17 year old daughter away from rated R films. C'mon! That's just over the top. I never was restricted from watching rated R material and I came out fine! Scarface, The Godfather... show more Honestly, I was reading some questions on here that were just ridiculous. For instance, a mother was trying to keep her 17 year old daughter away from rated R films. C'mon! That's just over the top.

I never was restricted from watching rated R material and I came out fine! Scarface, The Godfather trilogy, and action flicks were things I had no problem watching. My parents, however, did in fact tell me that everything in these films were fake that it's just story telling. Since then, that's what I've taken it as! I'm 19 and I've never had one problem with rated R films. Hell, when I was 13 I remember watching a film with a sex scene and my dad gave me a quick 'sex talk' right there. There was no need to make a big deal about it, he just told me the facts.

Parents today are so over protective and so concerned with shielding there children from explicit material that it just makes me laugh. A bus full of middle school children just pulled up across the street and all of them were cussing like it was nothing. Believe me, your kids know what sex is, what swearing is, etc.

Why not tell them about these things NOW? Tell them it's wrong to do drugs etc. but don't shield them from rated R movies or explicit music. You make it seem as if these problems don't exist. It's also statistically proven that children with more over protective parents act crazier as soon as they are on there own. Why? Because you've kept them under your roof so long! They finally have had their taste of freedom and they go wild.

My opinion is that parents need to tackle these issues head on with their children instead of trying to hide it from them. I understand you might want to keep Scarface away from a nine year old, but as soon as he's 13 it seriously wont matter.

Do you keep your children away from Rated R films or explicit music, if so why?
Update: I actually should clarify. When I mean your children, I actually mean your teens or pre-teens. Maybe 12+