How to Start a Business?
I was reading about starting a business at http://www.firehow.com/2009022439/how-to-start-a-b...
and was wondering if anyone else had started a business before and can share their tips with me.
- quicentella3Lv 61 decade agoFavorite Answer
How to Manage and Start a Home - Based Business
1) Think large for the long term, but think small in the beginning. Start your business by contacting people that you know ( friends, family, neighbors etc. ). Let these people know that you are in business, and explain to them what a convenient service you provide.
(2) Network your business as a fund-raiser. Contact local schools, churches, civic groups etc. who want to raise money for their organization and keep a percentage of sales as your profit.
(3) Take advantage of any gift giving occasion ( holidays, birthdays, engagements, graduations, etc.) Keep a log of all special occasions for your customers.
(4) Contact local business who having waiting areas (family doctor, pediatrician, dentist, beautician, mechanics etc.) This is an excellent opportunity for you to offer your service at little or no additional cost to the customer.
(5) Ask existing customers for referrals. Most businesses get their start this way. For example: Your beautician built his or her client base from referrals of existing customers. Word of mouth is the most powerful form of advertisement.
(6) Contact your local Chamber of Commerce to get a listing of businesses ( and their address / Phone Number) in your area. Write a letter of introduction, or use our suggested letter of introduction, to contact them. There may be a small fee to get this list.
(7) Contact large businesses in your area.
(8) Keep updates on new residents in your area. Write a letter to welcome them to the community and tell them about your service. Form a business relationship with a local company that deals with major purchases ( real estate brokers, car salesman ).
(9) Build relationships with your customers. Follow up with existing customers on a regular basis ( every 3 mos. ) . And there are NO problems. Hint: Customers follow up is crucial to your business. If you do not follow up, your credibility can be destroyed. If you only call your customers once a year (when it is time to renew ), they will be less likely to renew through you if there have been problems and you were not available to handle them throughout the year.
OFFICE OF SMALL BUSINESS
10 Key Steps to Starting a Business
There are several key steps to starting a business in the city in which you live. The steps may vary according to the type of business you intend to start, but the following 10 steps will give you a general idea.
1.Get Basic Information
The Public Library provides significant resource materials, including
information on market research, trademark and service marks, how–to books on a variety of businesses and industries, etc. The Library also offers workshops on patent, trademark and copyright issues.
2. Create a Business Plan
A business plan is like a roadmap; it shows you where you are in relation to where you want to be. Whether you believe in a business plan or not, starting a business involves many ideas that need to be documented and actions that need to be taken. Many businesses fail without a business plan, and furthermore, banks require one prior to being considered for a loan.
U.S Small Business Administration, Service Corps of Retired Executives
3. Determine a Business Name
The name you choose for your business is very important. If the name you choose is your own legal surname and a one-word description (such as John Smith Roofing) then you are not required to register a fictitious business name. If you choose a business name that does not meet these parameters (such as JS Expert Roofing) and your business is not registered with the state then state law requires you to file a fictitious business name statement. Please note that this statement does not protect the business name.
Please contact your local : County Clerk’s Office for more information.
4. Determine the Legal Structure of the Business
Your choice of legal structure will affect your income taxes and personal liability. Most businesses start as a Sole Proprietorship or a General Partnership and are generally the least complicated. Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Partnerships, with the Corporations and Limited Liability Companies must register Secretary of State. You are strongly advised to contact your own accountant or attorney for advice and assistance in determining the best legal structure for you and your business.
Please contact: IRS’S Technical Services Division
(800) 829-1040 website: www.irs.treas.gov
5. Determine the Business Activity Type
There is a classification system for business activity types in which identifies a business activity and determines many of the start-up requirements and where the business can be located. For more information on business activity type contact:
City Treasurer’s Office
6. Select a Site and Determine Zoning and Site Permit Requirements
Determining zoning requirements prior to signing a lease or contract is imper
- pavickLv 45 years ago
I propose you learn "Skip College: Go Into Business for Yourself." It's an e book, and the hyperlink is hooked up. There are plenty of examples given, and approaches to preserve it practical. You are definitely historic sufficient to begin your possess trade, however you without doubt want a plan. You additionally have to uncover some thing you are passionate approximately - you can be much more likely to revel in it, and much more likely to make a well residing. Also, don't forget that you can on no account move flawed serving to different individuals make THEIR desires come precise.
- 6 years ago
Start a business is Nothing with out hard work. If you want to start a business you should be a hard worker.Source(s): bornforentrepreneurs.com
- Anonymous1 decade ago
Go to http://www.score.org/index.html and in the upper left hand corner, enter your zip code. On the next screen, you will find the SCORE chapter nearest you. Call them and arrange for a free meeting with a SCORE counselor.
SCORE "Counselors to America's Small Business" is a nonprofit association dedicated to educating entrepreneurs and the formation, growth and success of small business nationwide. SCORE is a resource partner with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).
SCORE was founded in 1964 and is headquartered in Herndon, VA and Washington, DC and has 389 chapters throughout the United States and its territories, with 11,500 volunteers nationwide. Both working and retired executives and business owners donate time and expertise as business counselors. SCORE is America's premier source of free and confidential small business advice for entrepreneurs.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- 1 decade ago
I found a way to make money on the web and I share it with others. I don't ask for loads of money and I will show u everything. If u are real then email me if not then keep reading the spam and junk. good luck with your business and God bless
- 6 years ago