english language!!!!!!!!.......ever wondered?

Let's face it - English is a crazy language.

In what other language do people drive in a parkway and park in a driveway?

Why does night fall but never break and day break but never fall?

Why is it that when we transport something by car, it's called a shipment, but when we transport something by ship, it's called cargo?

Why are people who ride motorcycles called bikers and people who ride bikes called cyclists?

In what other language do thay call the third hand on the clock the second hand?

Why is it called a TV set when you get only one?

Why - in our crazy language - can your nose run and your feet smell?

Sometimes you have to believe that all English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane:

If olive oil is made of olives, what do they make baby oil from?

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian consume?

A writer is someone who writes, and a stinger is something that stings.

But fingers don't fing and grocers don't groce.

If the plural of tooth is teeth, shouldn't the plural of booth be beeth?

If the teacher taught, why isn't it also true that the preacher praught?

If harmless actions are the opposite of harmful actions, why are shameless and shameful behavior the same?

English is a language in which you can turn a light on and you can turn a light off and you can turn a light out, but you can't turn a light in;

In which the sun comes up and goes down, but prices go up and come down.

In which your nose can simultaneously burn up and burn down and your car can slow up and slow down, in which you can fill in a form by filling out a form and in which your alarm clock goes off by going on.

English is a crazy language. What is it that when the sun or the moon or the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible?; and why when I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up this essay, I shall end it?

Best Answer

WOW

That is one of the best questions I have read in ages in yahoo answers, but sorry no answer!

The spell check thingies drive me nuts, as a Canadian I learnt to spell the same way you did. lol My eye "colour" is blue, my "neighbours" are lovely and I use my oven not my "Stove". :) lol Try explaining to a foreigner that in the English language we annunciate several words the same way yet the words all have different meanings and spelling, for example; the words four, for, and fore, or two, to and too, absolutely mind numbing if you consider the fact that the majority of the languages in the world are read as they are spelled as they are written, the English and French Languages are considerably more difficult to learn the grammatical rules annunciations, spellings and the exceptions to the rules. * Uffa, I am confusing myself now* hiccup* As (((((8TM)))) stated, we are all "survivours" a.k.a. "survivors" of "English Rule". Lol *I just sent my spell checker into a spastic attack with this post of words, I think that it is screaming * it does not compute, it does not compute*. I had better get of this computer before it self distructs in three, two............ (((((((Spanky G)))))))

That was incredibly interesting to read. Wow, now I have sympathy for people having to learn English as a second language blimey!

All this plus weird spelling rules to boot.

Well, Sweetie you are not the first person to ask 'why' and you are certainly not the last to ask 'why'? However, why hasn't anyone done anything about it as yet? I guess we will never know!!!.

I always think about this kinda stuff

it was very interesting to read.

Wow. Good Point.

hahah yeah that is awesome

• cool

• haha, that's really really hilarious!!!! Hope there was more like you here!