How to repair bad credit?

To start off with I have absolutely no credit in my name. I'm not working as of right now but I've tried to get cards in the past to build up my credit but those were a no-go. So all credit my husband and I have is in his name. Anyway, we made some poor choices and got ourselves in debt(over $3000) when... show more To start off with I have absolutely no credit in my name. I'm not working as of right now but I've tried to get cards in the past to build up my credit but those were a no-go. So all credit my husband and I have is in his name.

Anyway, we made some poor choices and got ourselves in debt(over $3000) when we first got married. We did pay that off after my husband came back from deployment. In the past couple of years we repeated that cycle and had two credit cards that totaled just over $2,000. We did pay those off this year with some of our tax return. Right now we have a Target card open but it only has a $500 limit and we are working on getting that paid off as well.

We have two vehicles that we pay on monthly(always on time) as well as a few other bills(cable, phones, insurance) that get paid off fine. We do not own our home nor do we pay any utilities.

My question is(finally) how do we work on rebuilding his credit from here? Do we keep those other cards we've paid off open or do we close the accounts? I noticed the last time we looked at his credit report that it said some things have revolving credit. What is the best way to sort all of this out and get back on the right track? We would like for it to be in decent shape by the time my husband gets out of the Marine Corps which will be in 2011(maybe).