Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

My rotors have grooves in them. Is this normal?

I replaced my brake pads the other day (semi-metallic), and I noticed my discs have grooves on them. They aren't smooth. Is this normal? The car seems to stop fine, so I don't feel any urgency if something is wrong.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well it means that you need to have your rotors turned... or replaced. The rotor is suposed to be smooth so you can get the greatest amount of friction transfer from the new pads that you are now wearing grooves into.

It will stop fine for awhile,., until the new pads become glazed.

Source(s): 35 years experience... ASE Master Technician
  • 1 decade ago

Grooves are not normal they are the result of either wear or the previous pads not being changed soon enough and the rivets or steel backing plates cutting into the rotors. The brakes may appear to be working normally but the grooves prevent the new pads from being in full contact with the rotors. It is taking a longer distance to stop because of the grooves. In an emergency situation a few feet might be the distance between an accident or no accident, or a minor fender bender and serious injury.

Have the rotors resurfaced or replaced in the near future. You might have to replace the pads again as well.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Don't worry about it. My rotors have grooves and the bikes stop just fine. One is grooved due to using pads that were harder than recommended. Never heard that motorcycle rotors could be re-surfaced but that seems like needless expense since the rotors are so thin to begin with.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

How bad are the grooves, you could have them turned. It would cost you between 15-25 depending on where you go. It is normal when the breaks are bad and metal is cutting into the rotors. You should have replaced them as well.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

normal yes is why we turn them down which wil give you better braking and help pads last longer should be done everytime pads replace but dont have to be unless you see grooves and metallic/semi-metallic are the hardest on rotors what i do if running them is get lifetime warrenty pads and rotors which are most offen the cheap ones and then just replace them both

• me too
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

you should have the rotors turned or replaced for that reason. The groves are from the rev its wearing down the steel i the rotors

Source(s): mech 25 yrs
  • 7 years ago

had some on Yukon replaced pads and rotors

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

anytime you change the pads, you should also have the rotors turned.

• 1 decade ago

will chew your pads up so fast it's not funny

they need to be turned or replaced - QUICKLY

needs to have a mirror finish

• 1 decade ago

you should take them off and take to your local auto parts store and have them turned

Source(s): Experience
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.