how long does it stay light after sunset?

im having a party and i was wondering how long it usually stays light after sunset. its on april third and it says sunset will be at 6:11 but today even at 6:30 the sky was still light, but then a storm came so i couldn't gauge if it was still light or not.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You can check when sunset and the end of civil twilight is (about a half hour after sunset) any day of any year at this site:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php

When twilight really ends is more a matter of individual perception

• 1 decade ago

There are three "official" levels of twilight: Civil, Nautical and Astronomical.

CIVIL Twilight is considered the period during which it is still bright enough to go about your business as if it were still daylight (for example, the streetlights are still off, you do not need to turn your headlights on when driving). Most laws simply use a "30 minute" time period after sunset. I guess that this is the time period you should use in planning your party. Thirty minutes after sunset, some of your guests will find it a bit too dark, if you do not have lights on.

However, the real time changes with the seasons and with your location (specially your latitude). The scientific definition is that civil twilight ends when the Sun is 6 degrees below the theoretical horizon. At that point, the Sun is still lighting up the tropopause (the tropopause marks the limit of the troposphere, the layer of air closest to the ground, that contains all the usual clouds).

NAUTICAL twilight is (or was) the time when the sky became dark enough for some stars to be visible, while the horizon (at sea) was still visible. This allowed the navigator to measure the altitude of stars, using a sextant. The navigator needs to see the stars (it has to be dark enough) AND the horizon (it cannot be too dark). The scientific definition of the end of Nautical twilight is when the Sun gets to 12 degrees below the horizon.

ASTRONOMICAL twilight ends when the Sun reaches 18 degrees below the horizon. Until that time, the Sun still shines on the upper regions of the atmosphere (mesosphere, for example). We can't see it with our eyes, but astronomical cameras would still detect some diffuse light that would fog up astronomical pictures. Astronomers have to wait that long before they can take pictures of distant galaxies.

• RoVale
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Other factors can include how much pollution and haze is in your area and if the sun sets over a large body of water. All those can extend the amount of time it stays light after sunset.

• Hirsch
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

long stay light sunset

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The sun must be 12 degrees beneath the horizon to be dark enough. The heigher the latitude you stand on earth, the more is the slope of the setting sun, so the longer it takes for the sun to reach that 12 degrees beneath the horizon. That is also why everyone already above latitude of 50, have summer-nights without getting completely dark.

• Carole
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Mine are up and sunset is about the same time for us. Ours go on at about 6:00PM and then we turn them off at about 10PM. Those lights don't take up too much energy and if your bugging people with lights at 10PM... then that's their problem because that's not even that late. :)

• 1 decade ago

The highest it is at after sunset is fairly low, and it only goes lower as the night goes on. Plus where I live one needs to be facing the light poluted horizon.

Source(s): Brain=D
  • 1 decade ago

depends on what region of the country or even the earth you live in. In the central US approx 8:30 is when the lights go out

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.