which drill should i buy for general use?

im looking to buy a drill my limit is $200 the most before tax. im looking to get one of the following

Milwaukee 18V Li-Ion Compact Drill Kit

Model 2601-22

$199.00

RIDGID Lithium Compact Drill Driver

Model R86006

$187.00

Makita 18V Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2 In. Driver-Drill Kit

Model BDF452HW

$201.00

so i am unsure of which one to get. some review say that the makita batteries are dead after one year. the milwaukee has batteries issues as well. the ridgid has 5 out of 5. the milwaukee and makita brands are better than ridgid but the ridgid came out with better reviews. let me know what you think. please no other brands just the three that i mentioned. this drill will be used for general use and rarely used im not in the trade but i am a handy man and when the time comes i want a good drill not a cheap one like b&d

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

All of the brands you are considering are fine ones. However, battery life is going to be an issue with any brand, especially since, like me, you are only going to use the drill occasionally.

I have found it better to buy a good quality variable speed drill with a cord... The results are no battery issues and much better power.

If you are strictly considering a battery drill then may I suggest a 24 volt drill, and consider the one with the least expensive battery...because the limited use in itself will result in shortened battery life.

Good luck.

• 1 decade ago

I would go with the Makita. Makitas are top of the line tools (especially for general use). About the batteries, if you won't be using it everyday like a contractor would, then there is no way the batteries would die after a year. Even a crap brand like powerglide lasts more than a year. The warranty is only a year for the battery but a new battery is only ~$50, compared to a new drill for $200. I would say if you want a good drill go with the makita, if you are worried about batteries then go with the ridgid.

• 1 decade ago

I own 4 Makita 18-V driver/drills. All of them work very hard on the job - and have never let me down. The quick charger is great. We use the larger of the two available batteries for most work, but the smaller one for inside jobs since it's lighter. I also own some Milwaukee and Ridgid tools. Both companies make fine tools.

• 1 decade ago

I would buy a dewalt 18v drill as they are the best you can get that are battery operated. Batteries last longer that any drill I used even makita

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

spend an extra 20 bucks and get a dewalt 18v... i've used a few different types and the dewalt is my favorite, i work in a shop where we share power tools (company property) so people don't treat them with such care, and the dewalts have taking a major beating and still work great and the batteries are around 4 yrs old and still going, just need to charge them a little more often than when they were new.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You have narrowed it down to three good choices! I would go with the Makita in the end. They are the best.

• 1 decade ago

u all ready pic good brands,any one of those are good ,myself i preffert a makita o a dewalt brand ,is just up to u,what u like the must, good luck

Source(s): doing remodeling for 20 years
  • hearne
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

i could say to look on the contraptions they have obtainable, even in a catalog, and circulate from there. I do redesigning, and that i take advantage of an excellent form of diverse sizes. while you're not sure what you would be doing, look at numerous diverse set containers, and %. up the main consumer-friendly of those. for my area i could basically purchase the set. Smaller bits wreck extra convenient. good success!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I am very happy with my Dewalt.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.