Bible quotes that describe God! HELP!?

So I need someone who is very familiar with the Bible to give me some Bible quotes that describe the nature of God.

I'm writing an ethics paper in which I'm trying to punch holes in The Divine Command Theory.

The main question that arises from this theory is "Is what is good good becuase God has done it, or has God done it because it is good?"

In Genesis, it says :And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

I'm not sure how to take this, "and behold it was good". What do you think?

In my opinion, I don't really think God was "good" or "bad" at least in the way humans think of Him. Maybe he was just really powerful and created something out of his great energy, and placed Himself in his whole creation. So maybe the term good should be changed to "alive", "living", "reproducing", and anything that threatens that life force should be considered "bad". Hmm, idk...maybe im just making stuff up.

Favorite Answer

I think one of the problems concerning this is (this has come up more than once today for me in other parts of the internet!), we have few perspectives concerning what it is to be sinless. We are swayed in certain directions because we weren't born around an example of sinlessness throughout our lives. Only Jesus was a picture of that, and so no concrete examples for all to see, hear, touch, hold.

It's like God coming from outside of time, what exactly is that?! What is a time without time? How is anything related to anything if there was no time to make it related. I supposed that everything just "was". But "was" is placing a time relationship to it when we were supposed to be talking about timelessness. Whew!

Anyway, here are some quotes that you asked for concerning the nature of God:

An example of the oneness with God between the Word and God:

John 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning.

So how do you be with God and be God at the same time?

Now we can establish that the Father is God too:

John 1

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

So he became flesh, coming from the Father who is God because verse 1 and 2 said that the Word came from God and was God. Now we find out that the Father is also God as the Word came from the Father.

Now we find out that God is Sprit:

John 4

24 "God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."

This was spoken by the Son, Jesus. And He is the Word, who came from God the Father, now saying that God is Spirit.

So now we have established that God, the Father, the Word who is the Son, are the same, and yet are Spirit also.

This Old Testament verse seems to link them together as well:

Isaiah 9

6 For to us a child is born,

to us a son is given,

and the government will be on his shoulders.

And he will be called

Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,

Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

This includes God in human form, being a son born, carrying the names of God on Him, without being blasphemy. Think of that. Not only is there a past context with Jesus, and a present context to Him being the Prince of Peace, but also the names He would carry as far as being Mighty God, Wonderful Counselor (a New Testament reference to the Holy Spirit), and Everlasting Father. They are all one connected to a son who would be born.

We have a future connotation to the son born as well, that is; The government will be on His shoulders- possibly a reference to the Millennium.

Ok..Jehovah chose his own name, one rich in meaning. “Jehovah” literally means “He Causes to Become.” True, he brought all things into existence. That in itself is an awe-inspiring thought. But is that the point of God’s name? Moses evidently wanted to learn more. You see, the divine name was not new. People had been using it for centuries. Really, in asking God’s name, Moses was asking about the person represented by the name. In effect, he was saying: ‘What can I tell your people Israel about you that will build their faith in you, that will convince them that you really will deliver them?’

Isaiah 6:3 And this one called to that one and said: “Holy, holy, holy is Jehovah of armies. The fullness of all the earth is his glory.”

4 And the pivots of the thresholds began to quiver at the voice of the one calling, and the house itself gradually filled with smoke.

Proverbs 16:5 Everyone that is proud in heart is something detestable to Jehovah. Hand [may join] to hand, [yet] one will not be free from punishment

God Loathes You ~Genesis 6:6

“26:16 I also will do this unto you; I will even appoint over you terror, consumption, and the burning ague, that shall consume the eyes, and cause sorrow of heart: and ye shall sow your seed in vain, for your enemies shall eat it." - Leviticus

That seems to describe him pretty well.

Let's see.

Is killing babies good because God has done it, or has God killed babies because it's good?

How about drowning kittens? Condoning slavery? Commanding genocide?

You may need to revisit your premise.

"dad?"