Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 1 decade ago

Madison, Fond du Lac, Green Bay, or Milwaukee which cities to move to?

Ok...I'm from Wisconsin and I'm trying to figure out whaere to move next. Give me your opinion. I have pros and cons of each town.

Madison-rated besed to move to, but fast growing.

Fond du Lac-nice sized with 50,000 people, but crime is on the increase.

Green Bay-not far from the "north", but doesn't have much there.

Milwaukee-very big with everything you need, bu crime is one of the worst in the US with shootings daily.

Favorite Answer

Personally, I would choose either Madison or Milwaukee.

Although Madison is a small town, it has large city type offerings because of the college there. The farmers market is wonderful. Tons of shops/restaurants to choose from and it is only 1hr from a larger city (Milwaukee). I adore Madison and if my husband had gotten a job there we definitely would have moved there. Houses are slightly cheaper as well and you could probably find good rent deals again because of the college town aspect.

I don't see how you say that Milwaukee has the worst crime in the United States. Compared to where I live now (Chicago) Milwaukee is a piece of heaven. It has its problems, as do all larger cities, but it has the benefits of a larger city as well. Many more resources, jobs, places to live, things to do. Rent and houses are very reasonably priced compared to other areas. You can pick out which area to live in and you don't have to live in an area with crime. Also, although it is a larger city it is not too large so you can easily travel from one side of the city to the other in 15-20 minutes. Few traffic issues.

I would not choose Green Bay because it is far away from other larger cities, does not have many different resources such as different restaurants, different cultures, etc....

I would be very happy with either Milwaukee or Madison. Just decide for yourself which is best. Remember that Milwaukee is much larger and will therefore have many more job opportunities in the city and surrounding suburbs. A friend of mine moved to a small town but now she is unemployed and there are very few job ops there.

Source(s): Native Wi-er

Are you done with college? Because Madison is mostly cool if you're going to school currently (ie- you have to be there), or you're raising a family. Milwaukee is where I live right now, and the crime issue is such a NON issue that I'm moving to Chicago this summer where there's even more danger lurking.. Albiet, for school.

But still, I have lived here all my life and in some pretty gnarly areas of the East Side and by UWMs campus, never been mugged. People get their cars jacked when they aren't careful and leave valuable things on display, or park overnight in Riverwest outside of a garage.

If you didn't notice, I immediately disregarded anything but Mke, or Madison. Fond du Lac? Are you kidding me? Don't waste your time. If you're anywhere from 18-35 you'll want to live where things are actually happening.

Of course, Madison will have cheaper rent than Milwaukee, but it isn't outrageously different. You can find a decent 1 bedroom in the middle of the action for 500, Studios for 350+, etc. Roommates are good. To have.

There's always Bay View which is a little more South from the East Side, still right on the lake. Pretty scenester and hipster now. Cheap though. Independent shops all over. You have options. Come to Milwaukee. Madison is just for college. Seriously.

Good luck!

Source(s): *22 years life experience.

I think that you should move to Kenosha because there's not a lot of crimes, there not too much people there's just enough, there's tons of great stores/resturaunts, and there a lot of really nice people! Milwaukee and Madison would be very noisy. Green Bay?

I really think u should move to Kenosha it's very nice!

Source(s): I live there now!