Why were the prayers for those receiving coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery unanswered?

"Perhaps the most definitive work is the mammoth STEP project (Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer), a collaboration of six medical centers, including Harvard and the Mayo Clinic, lead by Harvard professor Herbert Benson. This study, lasting for almost a decade, involved 1,802 patients who... show more "Perhaps the most definitive work is the mammoth STEP project (Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer), a collaboration of six medical centers, including Harvard and the Mayo Clinic, lead by Harvard professor Herbert Benson. This study, lasting for almost a decade, involved 1,802 patients who were prayed for over a fourteen-day period starting the night before receiving coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery.

"The patients were randomly and blindly divided into three groups: 604 received intercessory prayers after being informed they might or might not receive such prayers, 597 did not receive prayers after being informed they might or might not receive such prayers,and 601 received intercessory prayers after being informed they definitely would be prayed for. None of the doctors knew who was being prayed for in the first two groups. Two Catholic groups and one Protestant group carried out the praying. It apparently did not occur to the investigators to also include a group of atheists thinking nice thoughts.

"The published results showed that in the two groups uncertain about receiving intercessory prayer, complications occurred in 52 percent (315/604) of patients who received intercessory prayer versus 51 percent (304/597) of those who did not. Complications occurred in 59 percent (352/601) of patients certain of receiving intercessory prayer compared with the 52 percent of those uncertain of receiving intercessory prayer. Major events and thirty-day mortality were similar across the three groups." (GOD: The Failed Hypothesis)

---

Why is it that these prayers, from two Catholic groups and one Protestant group, went completely unanswered while many people claim that when they pray for "lesser" things, their god listens?

╔═════════════════════════════════════
║Those who regard a freedom from false morals and obsolete
║practices regarding sex or religion are doing naught
║but corrupting their minds with foolishness.

║My morals come from compassion, and my compassion from
║understanding. And I seek to know, learn, and understand.
╚═════════════════════════════════════
Update: You're kidding, right? They're praying for people's LIVES. I daresay ANYONE would be praying from the heart if they're praying for so many people to LIVE. New Question: Why is it that under scientific testing, god always fails these said tests? And why is it, further, that people make... show more You're kidding, right?

They're praying for people's LIVES. I daresay ANYONE would be praying from the heart if they're praying for so many people to LIVE.

New Question: Why is it that under scientific testing, god always fails these said tests? And why is it, further, that people make "excuses" for his failure?
5 answers 5