promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

What kind of bedding, cage, and toys work best for chinchillas and degus?

Any information would be really helpful! As for bedding, could I use white shavings?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You can choose to have a wire bottom cage or a cage which rests in a pan. If you choose a cage that rests in a pan or has a solid metal bottom you will want to use natural pine shavings that contain no oils or tars. Do not use cedar shavings as they can be toxic to chinchillas. If you choose a wire mesh bottom cage, the size of the mesh is extremely extremely important. The mesh bottom of the cage should be no larger than ½" x ½". If the wire is larger, a chinchilla can get a foot caught in the mesh. In its distress, a chinchilla can chew off its foot, break a leg or the leg trauma may necessitate amputation. Why take a chance! If using a wire bottom cage, be sure the chinchilla has areas where it can sit or rest where its feet are not directly on the wire. We use houses or shelves and sometimes wood planks (which we change regularly because they can harbor bacteria). Chinchillas can develop sores on their feet from the continued direct contact with the wire.

Chinchilla Wheels. When choosing a wheel, do not select a wire mesh wheel or hamster wheel. Many chinchillas have had legs amputated and been killed when caught in these wheels. Choose a wheel that is solid all the way around.

Chinchilla Toys. Many chinchillas enjoy hanging toys with bells on the bottom and wood blocks (usually pine or fir) stacked on the chain. They delight in chewing off the blocks and like the sound of the bell. It is important that chinchillas have adequate items to chew as their teeth continually grow. We often supply wood blocks, hanging toys, pumice blocks, booda bones, etc. If you use any wood in the cage, be sure to change it often as wood can harbor fungus and bacteria.

Be sure your chinchilla has a little hideaway house so s/he can have somewhere to go when s/he needs to feel safe. They do truly enjoy their houses and often feel comfortable lying on their sides or backs totally relaxed.

Water Bottles. Many good water bottles are available. Heavy glass water bottles are nice because they can be sterilized in the dishwasher, but be sure the drinking tubes are very heavy glass so the chinchilla does not bite through them. There are also many varieties of plastic water bottles from Lixit and Nivek which also work well. Be sure the bottles do not leak, especially if the chinchillas sit on litter. Damp litter is very unhealthy for the chinchilla. If using plastic water bottles, it is important to put a sheet metal guard between the water bottle and the cage. Chinchillas will chew through a plastic water bottle at every opportunity. We cut a piece of sheet metal large enough to shield the water bottle and make a hole for the water nozzle. This has worked very well. Also, be sure the water bottle is securely fastened to the cage as the chinchillas enjoy unhooking the wires that hold it to the cage. Change the water daily as a constant supply of fresh water is vital to a chinchilla's health.

Food Dishes. We like to use stoneware crocks that sit on the bottom of the cage. This allows us to monitor the food intake to be sure the chinchillas are eating well. Although, sometimes the chinchillas will soil the dishes and the food, they can be easily washed and refilled. We tend to use different size crocks depending on the number and age of the chinchillas in the cage. Crocks that are 4" and 5" tend to work well. There are also metal feeders which hook onto the side of the cage. However, with these, the chinchillas tend to pull out the food and it scatters over the cage bottom.

Food. A good diet is so important to chinchilla health. We recommend feeding your chinchilla twice per day (morning and evening). Chinchillas enjoy a routine and look forward to being fed at the same time each day. We have used Mazuri pellets and occasionally mix in a bit of calf manna "enhancer" just for a bit of variety. We use 1 to 2 heaping tablespoons of Mazuri pellets per chinchilla per day. Our chinchillas have maintained excellent health on this diet. We offer Timothy Hay, alfalfa hay and alfalfa cubes. If we use loose Timothy hay, we offer it in the morning and evening . It is good for their digestion and keeps things moving. You can’t give a chinchilla too much fresh hay. Always be sure that any food, timothy hay or alfalfa you use is fresh, free of mold, mildew and toxic weeds. If your chinchilla eats "bad" hay, diarrhea often results. This can sometimes lead to intestinal problems which, if untreated, can lead to an untimely death to your pet.

Treats: We all love to spoil our animals, but do not give your chinchilla too many treats. We usually give ours a tiny piece of dried whole wheat toast or a little piece of plain shredded wheat cereal in the morning when we feed them. We will give one of the following in the evening (usually after their dinnertime): a raisin, a craisin, a dried banana chip, a tiny piece of dried guava, an unsalted sunflower seed.. Too many treats, especially raisins can cause diarrhea. Some chinchillas can to

Heres a fact:Degus are prone to diabetes due to their divergent insulin structure.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • pogue
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Chinchilla Bedding

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I had chinchillas once. the best bedding is the care fresh or aspen bedding because they can get respiratory infections from pine or cedar. Next get a ferret of chinchilla style cage with at least three layers they love to run and jump. Chinchillas love to run so a large wheel with plastic wire hurts there feet. also you can buy a harness and leash they love to go on walks. Food is very important because chinchillas are very sensitive animals so food strictly for chinchillas would work any other kind will clog there intestines and they will die. For some toys like i said the wheel and harness also they like anything they can chew on like wood or small chew block even blocks of pumice because there teeth grow like crazy. You have to have a hay rack with plenty of hay. They love hay if you set a plate with all the foods chinchillas can have they would go for the hay first they love it. Hope I Helped

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What kind of bedding, cage, and toys work best for chinchillas and degus?

Any information would be really helpful! As for bedding, could I use white shavings?

Source(s): kind bedding cage toys work chinchillas degus: https://tinyurl.im/e/what-kind-of-bedding-cage-and...
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Sarah
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Chinchillas and degus need big cages. If you want something for a smaller (less expensive) cage, try a hamster (or more than one if they're dwarfs), gerbils, or mice. If you can afford a bigger cage you can get a guinea pig. Just do your research. Most smaller mammals (except for syrian hamsters and a few others maybe) like to be in at least pairs.

• 1 decade ago

Bedding: CareFresh, Aspen, Pine or Fleece -- NO CEDAR

Cage: http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/chinchi... Cheapest I know of, safe for chinchillas, shipping is fairly cheap and they will customize the cage how you want it

Toys: Chin Chew Blox, Lava Bites, Ledges, http://www.martinscages.com/products/toys/, http://www.chinchillas.com/estore/SearchResult.asp...

Exercise Wheels: http://www.martinscages.com/products/accessories/e... http://www.rabbitstop.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=... http://www.rabbitstop.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=...

Supplies and Cages: http://www.valleyviewchinchillas.com/supplies.html

Source(s): Chinchilla Breeder/Rescuer http://www.geocities.com/softfurrycritters
  • 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avBIQ

this is going to be long Hamsters: In general I find that from personal experience, hamsters tend to bite ALOT, and never really socialize and bond with you. They are cute though, and are not alot of work. They are quite inexpensive to care for, and are relatively quiet pets unless they have a loud squeaky wheel. Mine did, and it drove me insane. Syrain hamsters: Syrain hamsters are also known as Teddy Bear hamsters and black bear hamsters. Syrains have to live on their own because they are dominant creatures, and will kill their cage mate if they are put together. They are also much calmer then the other breeds such as the dwarf series. They tend to grow alot bigger as well. They cost about $9 each from petsmart. Dwarf Hamsters: Dwarf hamsters are very social animals and need a cage mate unlike the Syrain hamster. They are also very quick and bite more then the syrains. They are very energetic compared to the syrains. Tougher to take care of then a Syrain. They cost about $10 each from petsmart. Gerbils: I have never actually owned gerbils of my own, but have researched them alot. They need to live in a aquarium because they love to dig, so it often costs a little more then a hamster because your getting a tank instead of a cage. They need to live in groups of 2 or more because they are simaler to rats as you know, and need a companion to live with. They don't smell alot, and only need their tank cleaned out about once every 2-3 weeks. They are very fast though, and simaler to hamsters, they don't really become your friend, but will let you hold them and play with them more often then a hamster will. They also do not bite nearly as much as a hamster and barely smell because they are from the desert. They cost about $8 each from petsmart. Chichillas: I do not know alot about chinchillas, but i know they are much harder to take care of then your ordinary hamster. They require dust baths every 2 or so days, and are usually more timid and nervous around people. They also need a companion. Most chinchillas are very nasty and mean if they come from a petstore so if you do decide on chinchillas, please buy from a breeder, or adopt from a nearby shelter. They do require monthy vet checkups, which cost alot of money. They do get sick very easily, and you need to keep an eye on them constantly to make sure they dont eat anything thier not supposed to. They do cost alot of money to get set up including cage, bedding, food, etc, but if you are willing to but in alot of time and effort into the care and requirements for this pet, it would be a good companion for you.Chinchillas are not easy pets to take care of, so i would sugest a smaller rodent. Usually cost around $150 each from a petstore. Mice: Mice are cool pets to have around, but they don't do much. They can be good companions, but i recommend them for older children because they can be very skiddish and nervous around younger children because of their fast movements. They can bite about as much as a dwarf hamster. They are very inexpensive, but smell more then a hamster or gerbil. Takes about the same about of time and effort as a hamster. Cost around $4 from petsmart. Guinea pigs: I would recommend a guinea pig for someone 10 and up because you have to clean their cage about every other day. They do smell, but can make adorable and loving pets. They live around 5-8 years normally so it is more of a long term pet. They are very cuddily, but just like the chinchilla, it has to have many vet trips. They are also more expensive to care for then the smaller rodents. Cost around $25 dollars each from petsmart. Sorry i dont know any thing about Degus i do love rats the most though, so if your dad really does hate them, then go for one of these pets that i have suggested. But remember, all of these animals do require daily interaction, change of food and water, fresh veggies, chew blocks, a healthy diet, toys, and some TLC. good luck with your choice

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.