What is the best type of garage door opener: screw drive, belt drive or chain drive?

I am getting a garage door installed soon. I've decided upon the door, but can't figure out the best type of opener. What is the best type of garage door opener: screw drive, belt drive or chain drive?

What is it that makes one type better than another?

Best Answer

I have installed both a screw drive and a chain drive. As previously mentioned, a screw drive delivers more power. It may be required to open a double wide because of the extra weight or a single panel door that swings out and up because of the spring tension. If your motion sensors, stop switches and assist springs are installed and adjusted correctly, the additional torque should not be a concern. A belt drive is quieter but they have a tendency to slip and you should make sure your rollers are properly lubricated.

• Susan

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axqig

Like everything else, the answer is: It Depends. Each type has their own advantages and disadvantages. Screw drives are "direct drive" openers, sort of. To say that they contain fewer moving or mechanical parts in incorrect, and of the three, they tend to be the noisiest. People that have always used a screw-drive are understandably loyal to this type, but the majority of openers sold today is moving away from screw drives. Chain driven openers are the middle ground as far as noise and vibration are concerned, and require very little upkeep - contrary to popular belief, regular lubrication of the chain doesn't make it last longer. The belt drive openers tend to be the most expensive models, but they are also the smoothest and quietest type of opener out there. Check the warranty before you buy - most belt drive openers have at least a 10 year, and in many cases a lifetime warranty for belt replacement.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): type garage door opener screw drive belt drive chain drive: https://shortly.im/mDWJV

This garage door opener works great! Setup was a breeze... much easier than expected. I was replacing an existing LiftMaster chain opener so all the mounts and the door attachment were already in place. All I had to do was remove two bolts mounting the old opener and a single pin mounting the old rail and take the whole thing down, and then mount (after assemblying) the new motor and rail in the same place with the same two bolts and pin. All my old wiring was also compatible, as were my obstruction sensors. It probably would have taken me several hours longer if I was doing this all from scratch, but with everything in place it was beyond easy and straightforward.

There were a few minor issues though:

- The directions told you to make sure the "tab" is on top of the front and back pieces when assemblying the rail, but there is no back piece. The only one with a tab is the front piece. I wasted a good 20 minutes until I realized this.

- Steps 4 and 5 are incorrect and they included a separate sheet with the new steps 4 and 5. Make sure you remember to use the replacement sheet instructions!

- There is a hole in the spring trolley through which you put the threaded bolt (the one that controls tension). The hole itself is mis-cut... and is clearly a manufacturing flaw. I ordered two units and both had this exact same issue. I had to use my Dremel to increase the hole diameter so the bolt would fit through. This was the only quality issue I found with an otherwise beautiful unit.

A few side notes:

- This package DOES NOT come with the internet gateway, which is what you need to hook up to your router to operate the doors with your smartphone. You can either buy the Chamberlain model (CIGBU) or the Liftmaster model (828LM), but the Liftmaster model is much less expensive. Liftmaster and Chamberlain are the same company, and I called and got their customer service team to reluctantly admit that these two models are identical apart from the name on the front and worked interchangeably.

- The directions for the outside keypad don't say that they work for multiple doors, and reading it you'd think they don't. But I successfully paired it with both my doors by just repeating the same learning process they cover with each. I don't know if it can handle more than 2 though...

- The inside opener buttons only control one door each, so you'll need to mount both for a two-door operation.

- The doors seem capable of learning/remembering many connections. I have them each hooked to the inner buttons, outside keypad, 4 remotes, and smartphones.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00APL6Q0W/ref=as...

Hands down the belt drive. I work at a garage door dealer as a tech and installer. We do not even carry screwdrives. The screw drive is quiet at first, but after a while it gets very noisy. Also a screw drive, as it gets older can sling the lubricant in it all over the face of your door. When you see a door with a streak down the middle, you can bet they have a screw drive. Also, they deliver more torque than the other two. So when your spring breaks, or something in the doorway (but not blocking the eyes), it is harder to stop which can cause more damage to your car, door, or whatever else is in the way.

Chain drives are very good openers. They are durable and last a long time. I have yet to see a broken chain except when it was installed in a constant wet environment, or it was a 30 plus year old commercial opener. That said, I the only chain opener i saw with a broken "chain" was a craftsman, chamberlain and Overhead brand opener where they use half cable and and half chain. Where the cable connects to the chain the cable snapped.

Our best seller and my personal favorite is the belt drive. It is much quieter and lasts just as long as a chain drive. The belt does not, or I have yet to see one "stretch". The Craftsman, chamberlain and Liftmaster ones have spring tensioners on them, so they always stay tight. As an added bonus the Chamberlain and Craftsman openers have 10 year warranties on their belts. The Liftmaster has lifetime warranty on the belts.

Like I said hands down belt drives are the best bang for the buck. Or if you have the money and your garage is wired properly check out the Liftmaster Jackshaft opener. I would stay away from the Wayne Dalton idrive. They are junk.

***Check out the belt drives with battery backup***

Source(s): Door tech

I have never used a screw drive but like the belt drive, it's a lot quieter then the chain.

I have had screw drives all my life and indeed they get noisy with age and even after greasing. I am going to try and belt drive this time.

Screw-drive is a much better design.

Too much can go wrong with the old chain-drive design.

Spend a little extra on the opener and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Silent operation, variable speed...

Pretty cool stuff.

Source(s): Gen Contractor

Screw drive is better because it will never stretch or break like a belt or chain can. Its also quieter.

chain drive most definitely