How can I type unicode with letters on my laptop?

I want to type the RLO unicode (U+202E), but I am on my laptop and can't do it. I know how to do unicode with just numbers by using the Fn key (ie: U+202 is Alt+[Fn]KMK making ╩), but I can't add on that final letter. Any help?

• Jallan
    Favorite Answer

First, on non-lap tops you are not typing Unicode characters using the Alt key.

The Alt key system originally allowed one to type any of the 256 characters in the current DOS character set by holding down the left Alt key (or on some keyboards also the right Alt key) and while it was held, typing the number of the character in the set on the numeric keypad. The characters are numbered from 0 to 255.

When Microsoft introduced Windows, they added the rule that if you typed an initial 0 before the number, then the character would be from the 256 characters of the current Windows character set, numbered 0 to 255.

If you type a number greater than 256 then the system will wrap, that is it treats 256 the same as 0, 257 the same as 1, 258 the same as 2, or 0257 the same as 01 and 0258 the same as 02 and so forth.

This method has NOTHING to do with Unicode. Unicode had not even been invented at that time. And these characters are not entirely the same as the first 256 characters in the Unicode set in any case.

Some current Microsoft applications, such as Microsoft Word and Microsoft Wordpad add to the original system in that if you type a value greater than 255, then you will get the character corresponding to its decimal value in the Unicode character set. That is, typing 256 gets you Ā, typing 257 gets you ā, typing 258 gets you ă and so forth. But this is not a universal system, it is something that Microsoft has included as part of particular software products. And you must type the decimal value of the character, not its hexadecimal value.

If you are using one of these products, then translate 202E from hexadecimal to decimal, that is to 8238 and enter that on the virtual numeric keypad while holding down the right Alt key.

You can't enter the hex value 202E on a regular numeric keypad either. You must ALWAYS enter the decimal value, even on a regular PC which has a genuine numeric keypad.

Or you can download and install the Quick Unicode Input Tool from Cardbox (http://www.cardbox.com/quick.htm). This allows use of the extended Unicode typing with any product, and will also allow you to type the hexadecimal values if you wish. Just hold down the right Alt key, and while holding it down, press the numeric keypad dot character, followed by the numbers and/or letters of the hexadecimal value. You don't have to use the numeric keypad characters, other than for the initial dot.

How To Type Unicode