Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 decade ago

Should teachers with visible tattoos not be hired?

Could it set a bad example for students?

Does it look unprofessional?

What are your thoughts?

Favorite Answer

Well, I think if they keep them covered, it would be okay.

My teacher just informed me that he has 8 tattoos, (with 2 visible, on his foot.) and used to have his tongue and upper ear pierced. He said he used to make bad decisions, and that he was stupid. Well, I don't think he should of told us that.

As many people already said, it would depend on what the tattoo was that would decide if it was a bad example. It would definitely be unprofessional though.

The problem though is defining what would be acceptable and what wouldn't be. I mean, if it's a simple heart or butterfly, no harm there, but if there are flaming skulls with a knife going through them and blood oozing everywhere, obviously it wouldn't be the best thing. However, when defining something like that, it gets difficult and there are always gray areas and people arguing over the subject matter. That's probably why most school districts require that they be covered up.

It is a tattoo, I don't see why it would be a bad example. Kids love tattoos, it makes them like the teacher better, like they are more laid back, and when students like the teachers they do better in the class, instead of fighting or not doing work because they don't like the teacher. I don't think it looks unprofessional at all.

Source(s): Fresh out of high school.

I think teachers should be aloud and they should not not be hired for a tattoo. Most times that shows who they are, and that does not make them a bad person. Now, if a teacher has a tattoo on both arms, legs, and anywhere else that might be seen then they should do something but if the teacher is a great teacher should you really not hire them. Don't judge a book by it's cover, don't judge a person by their looks!

Teachers are some of the tattoo industry's favorite clients, because they can get as many as they want. Teachers only have to hide them for the initial interview, after that it is nearly impossible for a teacher to be fired in the US. Also tattooed teachers say that students relate to a tattoo teacher more.

How could it be a bad example? Having a tattoo is nothing criminal. Years ago, it was thought that only bikers, criminals, sailors, and whores had tats, but things have changed and now they are viewed as just another form of body art. Anything to the extreme is unwise, like being covered with them. I don't think it looks unprofessional, but that could also depend on what the tat is, where it is, and how many the person has. A tasteful tat under a sleeve is no problem, but a naked lady on the forearm would be.

People should be hired no matter what unless they are sex offenders or violent people then no they don't need to get hired. So what if a teacher has a tattoo and a piercing. Why hold them accountable for something they did years ago like a lot of people have in the past.

• It depends on the school's policy. I work at a school where a couple of teachers have a couple of tattoos that can sometimes be seen depending on how long their sleeves are. I work at a 'good' (graded by Ofsted!) school but I know that one of the Deputy Heads is keen to tighten up on teachers' presentation. It is important for teachers to be seen as humans too! Kids will get a tattoo whether their teacher has one or not!

One problem for teachers wearing piercing jewellery is that many or most schools ban pupils from wearing them. Schools would do much better to let teachers and pupils express their individuality and style, and focus on excellence in teaching and learning.

But this is an issue which really should be protected by legislation. If people's religion freedom is protected by the law, there's all the more reason for secular freedoms to be protected.

I think it depends on the tattoo. If its bad or inappropritate then thay shouldn't be hired, but if its perfectly innocent I think its fine. The school may already have a policy though that says teachers with tattoos can't be hired or something like that. If that is the case then they shouldn't hire them at all.

We have this rule in the UK, where you can't get a job if you have a tattoo above your shoulders (basically, visible). I think it's a stupid rule, and I think someone should be hired on qualifications and personality, not appearance.