Ruger 10/22 using blazer ammo?

I have a Ruger 10/22 and bought a box of blazer 22 lr ammo 40 grain lead round nose.

Is this bad to use in my gun? I have read a mix of it being good ammo and some mentions of it jamming in peoples gun and some even had the bullet get lodged in the barrel.

Should I use this ammo sparingly at the range say 200 at a time then clean the gun to avoid it lodging in the barrel? I have heard lead bullets are bad for the barrel and should use federal copperwash what exactly is leading of the barrel is it just harder to clean or what? Will I know if a bullet does get lodged in my barrel will it sound different?

Favorite Answer

Well the 10/22 has a very forgiving chamber. If you have a stock barrel from Ruger on it you can shoot just about anything. `

Now if you have changed the barrel to a after market barrel you will have feeding problems more often. But there are still ways to fix the feeding problems.

I have a green mountain barrel on my Ruger now and have less feeding issues with match grade ammo. The ammo is lead, not jacketed. So I wouldn't worry about blazers not being jacketed.

If you want to check out a great resource for the 10/22 check out rimfirecentral.com.

Tons of info as well as tips, If your going to try to modify your rifle its a great place to look and see what works. Lord knows you can spend allot of money making them "better".

FYI Blazers are just cheep "blasting" ammo. You won't shoot small groups with it, But it will give you tons of fun for the price.

And yes you will hear a big difference if you have a "dud" The Blazers are a high Velocity round, so if it goes pop, and fails to feed a round then you know to check out the barrel.

I have never had Blazers that contained no powder. and I have shot cases of them. They are made by CCI, so I wouldn't worry about it. Its just the "budget" ammo in the CCI ammo line.

Source(s): http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php Over 25 years of shooting experience.

Blazer 22 Ammo

• randkl

First off, there is *no such thing* as FMJ or JHP ammo for a .22lr. Copper jacketed isn't the same as "copper-washed". The "copper wash" ammo is done that way for two reasons. One, on cheapo ammo sold in bulk packs, the ammo can often sit on store shelves for years and the lead will begin to degrade through oxidation. The second is that copper-washed ammo makes it look different than the other guy's. Copper-washed ammo *is* lead ammo and *all* .22lr ammo will wear a barrel the same way no matter what the coating looks like. All the common coatings on common ammo, lubed, "waxed", copper-washed etc are to protect the ammo, not to protect the gun.

CCI Blazer ammo is top of the line common ammo. It's no better or worse than Remington, Winchester, Federal etc etc etc which are all also top of the line common brands.

If it feeds ok in your gun, feel free to use it to your heart's content. It won't hurt your weapon.

As to cleaning a .22....I'm from the generation that often saw a .22 cleaned maybe once every five years whether it needed it or not. Anyone that tells you to clean it every hundred rounds or such, chances are, is either a teenager or has learned his shooting knowledge from "experts" on here. It's a .22 for God's sake. A dirty barrel might mean 1/4" more spread at 30 yards, nothing more. If you're worried about a dirty .22 barrel ruining your day, you're wasting your time.

Blazer 22lr Ammo

I have used Blazer ammo from my many of my guns without issues...(22LR, 380 ACP, 9MM, 45 ACP, 357 Mag, 223 Rem, 308 Win, etc...) Personally, I prefer CCI Stinger or Match rounds for my Ruger. Just keep your 10/22 clean and it shouldn't be any issue at all with Blazer ammo. I have few 10/22 rifles dating back more than 20 years....most of the time, I fired at least 500 rounds each time at the range before cleaning the 10/22 at home. I copperwash all my guns about 3 times a year and I shoot every other week with my wife....just clean the gun with a good power solvent and a good oiling after shooting. I never have any bullet lodged in my guns during my 20 plus years of shooting. Have fun with your 10/22

.22lr is going to jam and have other feeding problems from time to time, this is just the reality of 22 ammo, but its so cheap you dont really care if you loose a couple of rounds every now and then. I have found that soft points have caused me more problems than FMJ or jacketed HP. I have not shot Blazer 22 ammo, but regularly use blazer in my handguns with no problems at all.

I have a 10/22 that will either fail to extract, fail to feed, or misfire about once a magazine with Federal Champion "blue box." If you feed the same rifle Federal Champion "Auto Match" it will run through the whole 325 round bulk pack without any failures. So it goes with .22 rimfire...

Use jacketed ammo, blazer is crap. The bullets don't get lodged in the barrel, they just get deformed easily and don't feed right.

Source(s): Used blazer, didn't like it

You may fire when ready, Gridley. Just clean your weapon like you would after shooting any kind of ammo and you won't have any problems.

Source(s): Owner of a 10/22 for over 35 years.

i would swab it out every 100-150 rounds, and you get what you pay for