i am honduran, and i have (TPS)Temporary Protected Status. Can i get in the US.ARMY?

i heard in the news that they passed a law allowing people with TPS to get in the army.

4 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    No. You have to have a permanent residence visa or an Alien Registration Receipt Card


    While there is a statutory requirement that only a United States Citizen may become a commissioned officer, this is not true for enlistment. Certain non-citizens can enlist in the United States Armed Forces. To be eligible to enlist, a non-citizen must:

    (1) Entered the United States on a permanent residence visa or has an Alien Registration Receipt Card (INS Form 1-551/I-551 greencard or stamped I-94), and

    (2) Established a bona fide residence, and

    (3) Established a home of record in the United States.

    The visa and/or "greencard" must have sufficient time remaining on it (expiration date) to be valid during the entire term on enlistment. While non-citizens may enlist in the U.S. Military, they are not allowed to reenlist (stay in beyond their first term of service), unless they first become U.S. Citizens. However, there are accelerated citizenship procedures for non-citizens on active duty. For details, see our article, U.S. Citizenship in the Military.

    I get lots of email from non-U.S. citizens, who do not live in the U.S., asking how they can join the U.S. Military. Quite simply, you can't. In order to join any branch of the United States Military, one must either be a U.S. Citizen, or one must be a legal immigrant, currently living in the United States, with a "green card." The United States Military cannot and will not assist in the immigration process. In order to join the U.S. Military, one must legally immigrate first, and then apply to join the military, once they are living in the U.S.

    For enlistment purposes, citizens of the United States include citizens of: Guam, Puerto Rico, The U.S. Virgin Islands,The Northern Marianas Islands, American Samoa, The Federated States of Micronesia, and The Republic of the Marshall Islands.

    Not all non-citizens may be eligible to enlist. Applicants who have been residents of countries considered hostile to the interests of the United States require a waiver. See your local recruiter for the most current list of countries considered hostile to the interests of the United States.

    While non-citizens may enlist, they will find their job choices extremely limited. DOD policy prohibits granting security clearances to non-U.S. Citizens. Therefore, non-Citizens. who enlist in the United States military will be limited to those jobs which do not require a security clearance.

  • 3 years ago

    Honduran Tps

  • Requirements:

    The basic qualifications for enlistment in the U.S. Army include:

    • being from 17 to 42 years old

    • be a U.S. citizen or resident alien, (must have the I-551)

    • have a high school diploma or equivalent (such as a GED)

    • be single with no children or married with 2 or less children

    • pass the ASVAB test and

    • pass the physical

    It is freaking sad that The US Army has removed this info on their own site.

    SSG US Army 73-82

  • USNS
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    Where did you hear that from?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.