Why did he wrap the tattoo in saran wrap?

my friend got a tattoo on her wrist yesterday and she came home with it wrapped in saran wrap and he wrist was twice the size, when she got the one on her shoulder he put this cream on it to numb it, and it didnt swell or anything, but this time, its huge and everything

he said saran wrap was better because gauze makes it sweat...err...i dotn get it

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

OMG!!!!

Ok first of all, a tattoo should NEVER EVER be wrapped in saran wrap. Please people try and educate yourselves by asking true professionals about these things!!!!! Saran Wrap will only do one thing, it will trap in all the dirt, oil, sweat, and anything else that lies between your skin and the plastic. Not only that but it prevents the tattoo (skin) from "breathing" so further damaging the skin. The wrist will swell a little more than other areas at times because there is very little surface skin between the bone and top. It varies by the person. Never wrap yor tat in plastic you'll suffocate it, if the artist wants to wrap it tellhim no and ask for a bandage. If he doesn't have one a paper towel and med tape will do. You only keep it covered for an hour or so just long enough to get home and wash it, remembering to always wash your hands first. The leading cause of infection in tattoo's are dirty hands. Use common sense people, do you put plastic wrap over a cut or burn? Hell no, so don't ruin a good tat either. EDUCATION IS KEY!!!!!!! Inform yourselves by using good resources, there out there. Watch out for scratchers.

Source(s): 15 years in the tattoo industry having seen the results of ignorance cost people allot.
  • 1 decade ago

Like every one else is saying to protect it. I'm against saran wrap though as it doesn't allow the area to breath. If I have the choice I go with the gauze every time. Plus the gauze soaks up the extra blood that seeps out after the tattoo was done. Saran Wrap will make you sweat a hell of a lot faster then gauze will since it doesn't allow the area to breath. The swelling is completely normal and kind of depends on how her body first reacts. When I got my wrists done the first time they swelled quite a bit. When they were touched up i didn't have much swelling at all except right where the needle had been. Saran wrap does make it easy to show off though while still protected.

• 1 decade ago

I have said this again and again....saran wrap is for left overs.

There is no scientific purpose for this. They use it because they don't want to spend the money on bandages.

Plastic wrap does not wick away oozing from the would that a bandage does. It also is a health hazard to everyone else because serous fluids drip down and seep out from around the edges contaminating everything it touches.

There is a new plastic film type product that does seal in the tattoo and also breathes, reportedly, but the quality is much different that plastic wrap and even costlier than non-stick bandages.

Source(s): Artist, studio owner, and medical professional
  • Maria
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

The only time putting saran wrap on a tattoo is when it's fresh and your artist puts it on there his/herself . Like someone had said before, a tattoo is an open wound and needs to be able to reach fresh air to heal properly. If you're worried about your ointment getting everywhere, try sleeping on a freshly cleaned towel for the first few nights. Also, when you start using the non-scented lotion, it will soak into your skin, therefore it won't go everywhere while you sleep. Hope I helped!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • The swelling is nothing to do with the type of wrap he put on lol - how would that work? Swelling depends on the area of the body and the amount of detail in the tattoo. Things with more linework on smaller areas of the body tend to swell more. Nothing to do with whether it was a saran wrap or a gauze - there is no right or wrong between them, they are just to protect the area from bacteria in it's most vulnerable period of healing. The swelling will go down soon.

• Shauni
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Some artists use saran wrap and others use gauze and other things. The whole idea behind it is to keep it clean and away from bacteria as to prevent infection right off the bat.

Some say keep it on for 2 days...others say just a few hours...Mine told me a few hours for my tattoo (total of 7 hours) and then clean it real good. But it varies for everyone.

:D

• 1 decade ago

The saran wrap is used to help your skin pores close and help the ink stay in your skin! You only need to leave it on for a couple hours, the best thing to use when you first get a tattoo is A&D ointment. Don't use Vaseline or petroleum jelly because it will not allow air to heal your tattoo, it will clog up your skin pores. Air is good for your tattoo, it will help the healing process. Also don't get to much sunlight!

Hope that this helps!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That's bullshoot. We use Saran wrap because people tend to leave the bandage on longer, if they can see their new ink without taking it off. Gauze makes a much better bandage, but people take them off sooner. We use them to prevent airborne pathogens from getting to them for the first four hours or so. After that length of time, it's safe to take them off.

Source(s): I'm a certified tattoo artist.
  • Seran wrap should be put on there for an hour after the tattoo because it helps the tat to heal faster and keeps the wound from being exposed to the out side air the bandage hold in germs

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This keeps in clean of dirt and things, also helps it scab easier so that it will heal faster. All of my tattoos have been wrapped or covered in saran wrap. Also, if you are using Tattoo Goo or something similar it will soak into gauze. But the saran wrap keeps it against the skin. Also saran wrap is cheaper. And most people have saran wrap at home if it needs to be changed. :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.