Name changing from SciFi to SyFy?

What does everyone think about the SciFi channel changing it's name to SyFy?

Personally, I think it is stupid. But, Tim Brooks the TV historian who helped launch the SciFi channel says, The name SciFi has been associated with geeks and dysfunctional, antisocial boys in their basements with video games and stuff like that, as opposed to the general public and the female audience in particular.

I just think they are going to lose a LOT of their audience with the switch. Plus, it doesn't help that the SciFi channel has some really stupid programs on there. They have a lot of reality shows...they are boring. Wrestling...give me a break. That's why we have TNT and the USA channel. Wrestling doesn't belong on SciFi. AniMonday. I like Anime...but Anime doesn't belong on SciFi either. That's why there's Adult Swim. I loved watching the SciFi channel cause it dealt with SciFi like: Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, The Sentinel, Invisible Man, Firefly, The X-Files, science fiction movies. But, now SciFi is going to other genres now. I think this is ridiculous and I wouldn't be surprised if they noticed that the amount of people watching has diminished. Personally I'll still watch SciFi because of the Ghost Hunters and soon Stargate Universe. But, I'm not happy with the change. Plus I even read that it will be easier for the younger generation to text: SciFi vs SyFy. Give me a break.

Favorite Answer

I think the Sci-Fi Channel (or rather NBC Universal) intends to appeal to an even lower lowest common denominator than Viacom's Spike TV.

And I am almost willing to disagree that Science Fiction is a so called "niche market". Some of the best American classics are science fiction or fantasy movies (Terminator, Back to the Future, Star Wars, etc) and many highly rated and famous television series are science fiction (Star Trek, Buck Rogers, Doctor Who, etc)

I guarantee you can go anywhere in America any many places in the world, use the word Darth Vader and most people will know what you are talking about.

But that audience must be less profitable than the tasteless lowest common denominator audience. Some science fiction shows are very expensive - while some are very much not - but high budget shows like Stargate can be replaced with low budget reality shows that draw a wider (dimmer) audience and cost less to produce.

When criticizing TV remember that all things come down to sponsorship and profit. A television network makes no decision that causes them to lose these things.

I agree. SF or sci-fi has been around for many years, and worked just fine. I see no reason to change it. I gave up on TV in November 2007, and went back to reading full time for my entertainment. The only thing I use TV for now is to play old movies on video or DVD.

i totally agree! i stopped watching sci-fi a year ago! It just got so boring!!