What are the Rules of the Wedding Dress?

I know there is a rule that the groom can't see the dress before the ceremony...right? Can you explain these rules to me? =)

Thanks :)

So I assume this means the Bride gets the wedding dress with a best friend and not the fiance?

Best Answer

Usually the bride takes her mother and/or best friend (maid of honor) to go dress shopping. Some people take their future mother-in-laws as well. I had my mother, grandmother, and maid of honor come with me.

It is considered unlucky for the groom to see it before your grand entrance into your wedding ceremony.

It is also considered unlucky to see him on the day of your wedding before the ceremony begins.

All this considered, many people break these "rules." It really doesn't matter if your fiance sees your dress or what not. Do what you want to do!

Source(s): bride to be 7-11-09
  • Em M

Its not a rule as much as a custom. Most brides go dress shopping with mum/sister/friends... It used to be thought of as bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the wedding in her dress. So that's where the 'rule' comes from.

It's not a "rule" - it's a custom that's grown out of tradition. It is supposed to be 'bad luck' for the groom to see the bride in her dress or on the day of the ceremony - I think it harkens back to the time of arranged marriages when the groom did not see the bride until the ceremony.

normal tradition is the groom can't see the bride in the dress at all before she walks down the isle. or the dress at all in some cases.

that's the only rule i know.. but many brides take their fiance's to find the wedding dress.

• Vashti

There are all sorts of superstitions out there:

One is that it's bad luck for the groom to see the bride in her wedding gown before the wedding.

One is that it's bad luck for the groom to EVEN see the wedding gown.

If you want your fiancee to go dress shopping with you, take him!

I didn't know there were rules..?? my wedding gown is long and all 3 of my girls have short knee length dresses, 2 are regular bridesmaids and 1 is the maid of honor. Do what you want, it's your day!

• Jard

rules wedding dress

It's not a rule. It's actually supposed to be bad luck. I personally don't believe in all that but I still didn't want my fiance to see my dress. I wanted it to be a surprise the first time her saw me in it. My MOH and bridesmaids went with me to get mine.

its not a rule, but it's what most people do. Its considered "bad luck" to see the dress before the wedding . usually you go with your mom, or MOH or bridesmaids

That's more of a custom than a rule.

The rules are: a white dress may be worn for a first wedding, but not for a second. A veil is ONLY worn for a first wedding. If the wedding is religious in nature, you might want to cover your shoulders and arms.

I think that's about all I can think of.