promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

If you believe evolution is false, why did God or The Designer create all those intermediate species?

Fundamentalist Creation (and Intelligent Design) say that creatures appear suddenly with no precursors. So intermediate species are not needed. Only evolution demands intermediate forms. And we have found them in vast numbers.

So... why did the supernatural Creator/Designer create so very many intermediate forms, with gradual tranformations from one major form ("kind") to the next?

Supporting Examples:

Nice readable document about the fossil evidence of continuous transformations from one species to the next:

http://www.indiana.edu/~ensiweb/lessons/c.bkgrnd.h...

Reptile to Mammal Transition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynodont

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrinaxodon

Reptile to Bird Transition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yixianosaurus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeopteryx

And my personal favorite. Because of evolutionary theory, scientists identified a gap in the transition from fish to amphibian, determined when it would have lived and where it would have lived, then they went out and dug up several examples:

http://tiktaalik.uchicago.edu/searching4Tik.html

(click the 'next' button to page through this easy-to-follow story)

Good video of presentation by biologist on intermediate species:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9a-lFn4hqY

Youtube thumbnail

Here is a great video addressing the false claim that there are no transitional fossils:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfoje7jVJpU

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=PlayList&p=258CAE2F4546AA95&index=8

So why did the Creator/Designer make all these intermediates?

Update:

EDIT:

Anthony B - you're kidding, right?

"there is never any proof that a transitional fossil has been found. Wikipedia shows drawings."

So all those things in museums are all fakes? All those research papers are made up just to confuse the faithful?

"Your other links show species that adapt and slightly change but are still the same species."

What??? If you can create a reptile and create a bird, why do you need to create (temporarily, 'cause it's gone now) a half-bird, half-reptile?

"there would be hundreds of billions of themm How many do we have?"

LOL - do you think every creature becomes a fossil when it dies? How many of your relatives are fossils now?

Update 2:

EDIT:

Anthony - a "transitional species" is NOT a Kirk Cameron "crocoduck" or a Harun Yahya half-bird, half-starfish. Those are just stupid pictures meant to confuse people and have NOTHING to do with how evolution works.

Do you understand that populations evolve, not individuals? Do you know what that means?

Archeopterix IS half bird and half reptile, just like YOU are an intermediate species between Astralopithecus and whatever humans will evolve into.

To say there is no evidence of transitional species is to (1) be completely ignorant of how evolution actually works, or (2) be lying.

Which are you?

Update 3:

Anthony:

Science actually sees the world around it and learns from it. In 2000 years, science has taken us:

- from huddling around a wood fire to harnessing the power of the atom;

- from witch doctors to eradicating smallpox and polio;

- from astrology to the Hubble Telescope;

- from mud huts to skyscrapers;

- from camels to Airbus;

- and thousands more examples...

In the same period religion has taken us from bickering over differing interpretations of an unseen god to....

bickering over differing interpretations of an unseen god.

And you call my worldview "blind dogma"?

You need to be "born again" to science.

Did you know that if every atom in a single gram of hydrogen were the size of an unpopped popcorn kernel, they would cover the United States to a depth of nine miles?

You have the opportunity to comprehend things that the authors of the Dead Sea Scrolls never did.

Don't waste the chance!

Update 4:

EDIT

gertystorud - did you know the concept of "conservation of information" was made up by a creationist as another anti-evolution slogan? There is no such thing as conservation of information.

Write to me if you'd like examples of genetic mutations adding genetic information.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi RickK,

I've asked questions like this before and gotten answers similar to the drivel you are getting now. The consensus Christian answer I received when I brought up transitional fossils (which by the way, are found so frequently its not even news any more) was that the fossils were largely frauds.

The sad fact is that the presence of transitional fossils (let me point out again that thousands have been found for virtually every known species) completely destroys the validity of Creationist theory. At least the people who say "Satan did it" have an explanation for the data (even though its an unlikely and ridiculous explanation) that fits in with their theory. Most Christians though just shut their eyes and pretend the evidence doesn't exist (the "missing link" was found in Darwin's own lifetime and people are still claiming that its nonexistent).

Its actually a rather sad commentary on human nature.

Best of Luck!

Tom

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Fancier: "Many of those so called "missing links" are really fully form creatures." All of them are. Every creature that has ever lived and reproduced has been a fully formed creature. Your desire for a half-something half-something else is a result of your ignorance about how evolution works, and is nothing more than a popular creationist straw man. "Many of those "missing links" were found only in fragments like just a piece of a skull or a tooth and not a complete creature and somehow scientists came up with these creatures even though they had no idea what creature it even was." Which fossils are you referencing specifically? What are your problems with the methods used in evaluating them and the conclusions reached? "Once they discovered a tooth that they said was a humanlike creature only it later turned out to belong to a pig." And? There have been plenty of faked fossils, including some that were purported to be human ancestors. They were all found out by comparison with the plethora of real human ancestor fossils by scientists, not creationists with their fingers in their ears screaming that it wasn't real.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Youre missing something here, Rick. They think that all fossil evidence is false, planted evidence from Satan. So, the question makes no sense because they refuse to look at the evidence of fossils.

• 1 decade ago

Thomas S said it more eloquently than I ever could, but since anthony b hides by not allowing e-mail I had to address him here. anthony have you EVER gone to a Natural History museum and looked at the real evidence that anyone can see.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Your argument is so weak because there is never any proof that a transitional fossil has been found. Wikipedia shows drawings. Your other links show species that adapt and slightly change but are still the same species. Lets get real! If there are transitional fossils, which there must be according to evolution, there would be hundreds of billions of themm How many do we have? 0

Source(s): Dude! Your horrible. Your not getting real at all. There would be hundreds of billions of them. Life has been on this planet for hundreds of millions of years and we find 2 transitional fossils that aren't even transitionals. Give me a break! Stop wishing on a star. EDIT : Show me an actual picture of a half reptile half bird fossil............I thought so! EDIT: Ever heard of extinct species? Those aren't transitionals. Those are extinct species. Hello! EDIT: I'm # (3) Not blinded by science dogma. I am not intermediate. You have never even seen an intermediate because there are none. A gorilla is a gorilla. Always has been and always will be. They have gorilla fossils from over 9 million years ago. Guess what? That fossil is exactly the same as the gorilla we see today. No intermediates. No evolution. Period.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

But... but... The science guy from the church said those didn't exist.

He showed me pictures of dinosaurs on the Arc, too.

Hmmmmph.

Oh, well. I guess its all part of God's mystery for us. He's so cool.

• 1 decade ago

Where does their 'information' originate in the first place??

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because God CREATED evolution....

evolution just didn't evolve out of nowhere

• Mojo
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Jesus, faith, bible, holy spirit....

Blah blah blah.

• 1 decade ago

Jesus... or the Devil.... planted those fossils to test our faith!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.