How do I apply for citizenship in Canada?

I am an american currently living in Mexico with my mexican husband and our american children. I would like to go to Canada and work. How do I start my paperwork and get citizenship or a work visa?

3 Answers

  • Leon
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Sidwell, you need to update your info :)

    The skilled worker program was changed at the end of November 2008. You now need to be of one of 38 priority occupations to apply OR have a job offer OR already be on a student or work permit in Canada for 12 months.

    CIC has promised that skilled worker should not take any longer than 6-12 months in the future but as of yet, no applications have been processed completely under the new system so nobody knows for sure. The processing times currently seen on the CIC website for skilled worker are for applications under the old system which were taking much longer, from some countries up to 6 or 7 years.

    For a provincial nominee program, you normally need a job offer too unless you can get sponsored by a family member (under the AB, MB and SK programs). Quebec is an exception, they will let your immigrate without a job offer if you fulfill their requirements, one of which is speaking French.

    There are no requirements to live in the province for a certain amount of time if you immigrate through a provincial nominee program but you do have to land there and since you sign a document stating that you intend to settle there, it's advisable to at least attempt to.

    It's better that you go yourself to the CIC website at and look and see if you qualify for any immigration options.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Here are the details.

    You must be living in Mexico legally - as a visitor, a permanent resident or a temporary worker or as a foreign student.

    You have two choices

    In both cases You will need to get an FBI police security check from FBI HQ in Virginia. You may also need to get police checks from every state and country you have lived in since the age of 18. Definitely get the international ones. The state ones - sometimes CIC asks for them, and sometimes not - so its best to wait until you are asked.

    1 - federal skilled worker

    You need to have at least 1 years work experience in your chosen field before you can apply. 4 years is better - gives you more points.

    You must meet the following minimum requirements to apply as a skilled worker:

    You must have at least one continuous year of full-time, paid work experience or the equivalent in part-time [1 year full time - 2 years part time]. continuous employment. Your work experience must be Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC).

    You must have had this experience within the last 10 years.

    If you have work experiene and skills for any of the following occupations, then your applicaiton will be fasttracked and processed faster than other applicants.

    occupations in demand

    assessment test - you must get 67 points to qualify.

    You will need at least $10,000 saved up - more if you have family - before you apply as you will be required to show this proof that you have this money when you apply.

    application processing times in Skilled worker category

    Currently taking 2 years from USA. And then after you are admitted to Canada, you MUST live in Canada for 3 years before you can apply to be a citizen. That is currently taking about 12 months to be processed, so altogether it takes you 6 years to legally become a Canadian citizen.

    2 - provincial nominee.

    If you speak french then you can apply for Quebec,. IF you do NOT speak french, then apply for another province (Ontario, BC or Alberta are the best) .

    provincial nominees

    Quebec selected skilled worker.

    If you do emigrate under the provincial nominee program, you are required to stay in that province for (either) 2 or 3 years before you can leave. You must fulfill all other requirements as stated above.

    Provincial nominee programs can be processed faster than the federal program.

    Source(s): PR in Canada
  • 1 decade ago

    Contact the Canadian Embassy or Consulate in Mexico

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.