special k challenge while nursing?

so ive been doing this thing for 4 days. so far i feel dizzy and when i do eat the last meal of the night my stomach cramps up... idk if its all the sweets or the lack of a well balance diet.. probably both. even though i up my calories for my last meal it seems like my milk supply has gone down...btw my daughter is 9 1\2 mo. i plan on nursing her till she is a year old.

Update:

the diet im talking about is http://www.specialk.com/ ... i do drink lots of water and i usually eat right. i am already losing weight with working out and eating right, just wanted to try this... let me tell you, i have never felt so hunger in my life! basically it cereal for breakkfast a protein water for snack, meal bar or cereal for lunch and a twix sized snack bar for the 2nd snack.. and a healthy meal for dinner... i did stop today, not right for me.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Can I see the meal plan that you are following?

How many calories did you select?

The meal plan doesn't look that bad too me. Fair amount of veg and whatnot. It could really use at least one more serving of veg and less packaged crap but its not terrible

http://www.unicef.org/malaysia/media_8555.html

“There is a common misconception that malnutrition greatly reduces the amount of milk a mother produces. Studies show that the amount of breastmilk produced depends mainly on how often and how effectively the baby sucks on the breast. If a mother temporarily produces less milk than the infant needs, the infant responds by suckling more vigorously, more frequently, or longer at each feeding,” says Mr. Youssouf. “This stimulates greater milk production.”

In such situations where the mother is under-nourished, UNICEF stresses that it is better to address the nutritional status of the mother, rather than ignoring it.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightlo...

Wait until your baby is two months old before dieting

It's best not to do anything consciously to lose weight until after the second month. This gives your body enough time to successfully establish a healthy milk supply that is less likely to be adversely affected if your caloric intake is restricted. Breastfeeding your baby, on average, burns 200-500 calories per day (above what you needed to maintain your pre-pregnancy weight) -- so keep in mind that even without a weight loss program you are burning extra calories.

Breastfeed without restriction

Research tells us that both more frequent breastfeeding and breastfeeding longer than six months increases maternal weight loss.

Eat at least 1500-1800 calories per day

While nursing, you should not consume less than 1500-1800 calories per day, and most women should stay at the high end of this range. Some mothers will require much more than this, but studies show that going below this number may put supply at risk.

Keep weight loss at less than 1.5 pounds per week

Most moms can safely lose up to 1.5 pounds per week or 6 pounds per month after the second month and not affect milk supply or baby's well being. One study has suggested that short-term weight loss of 2.2 pounds (1 kg) per week is not a problem (in this study, moms dieted for 11 days).

Decrease the calories gradually

A sudden drop in calories can reduce milk supply. Some moms notice this during an illness, although dehydration and/or medication use could also be a factor in reduced milk supply when mom is sick. It has been hypothesized that a sudden calorie decrease can cause mom's body to go into "starvation mode" and cut nonessential resources such as milk production.

Avoid quick-fix solutions

Liquid diets, low-carb diets, fad diets, weight loss medication, etc. are not recommended while breastfeeding.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-diet.htm...

According to Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D., breastfeeding researcher and anthropologist, women throughout the world make ample amounts of quality milk while eating diets composed almost entirely of rice (or millet or sorghum) with a tiny amount of vegetables and occasional meat.

Are healthy eating habits recommended for mom? Absolutely! You will be healthier and feel better if you eat well. It is best for anyone to eat a variety of foods, in close to their naturally-occurring state, but this is not necessary for providing quality milk or for maintaining milk supply. Although it is certainly not recommended, a breastfeeding mother could live on a diet of junk food – mom would not thrive on that diet, but her milk would still meet her baby's needs.

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/12more_bf_myths.htm...

2. A breastfeeding mother has to eat more in order to make enough milk.

Not true! Women on even very low calorie diets usually make enough milk, at least until the mother's calorie intake becomes critically low for a prolonged period of time. Generally, the baby will get what he needs. Some women worry that if they eat poorly for a few days this also will affect their milk. There is no need for concern. Such variations will not affect milk supply or quality. It is commonly said that women need to eat 500 extra calories a day in order to breastfeed. This is not true. Some women do eat more when they breastfeed, but others do not, and some even eat less, without any harm done to the mother or baby or the milk supply. The mother should eat a balanced diet dictated by her appetite. Rules about eating just make breastfeeding unnecessarily complicated.

http://www.specialk.ca/MealPlans/specialK_mealPlan...

Food Guide Servings

Vegetables and Fruit7 Grain Products7 Milk and Alternatives2.5 Meat and Alternatives2

Nutrient Analysis

Calories (kcal)1757 Fat (g)53 Carbohydrate (g)258 Fibre (g)21 Protein (g)79

3/4 cup Special K* Red Berries Cereal

1 cup 1% milk

1 slice whole wheat toast

1 poached egg

1/2 cup orange juice

1 Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwich

2 tbsp peanut butter

2 slices multi grain bread

1 banana

1/2 cup fruit cocktail

1 serving Special K* Tuna Noodle Casserole

1/2 cup yellow pepper strips

1/2 cup sliced red peppers

1 small ice cream sundae, strawberry

3/4 cup yogurt, fat free (0% mf)

6 dried apricot halves

1 pkg Special K* Crispy Bites

-----------------

Food Guide Servings

Vegetables and Fruit7.5 Grain Products6 Milk and Alternatives2.5 Meat and Alternatives2

Nutrient Analysis

Calories (kcal)1760 Fat (g)42 Carbohydrate (g)255 Fibre (g)22 Protein (g)98

1 1/4 cup Special K* Satisfaction* Cereal

1 cup 1% milk

1/2 cup peaches

1 serving Chicken Caesar Salad

2 1/2 oz grilled chicken breast

1 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated

2 cups Romaine lettuce

1 tbsp low calorie Caesar salad dressing

1/4 cup croutons

1/2 cup cherry tomatoes

1 small whole grain roll

(with 1 tsp/5 ml soft margarine)

1 pork chop, maple glazed

(use 1 tbsp/15 ml maple syrup)

1 cup long grain brown rice

1/2 cup baby carrots, cooked

1 cup collard greens, stir-fried

(with 1 tsp/5 ml olive oil + minced garlic)

1 slice Special K* Cherry Cream Pie

1 Special K* Bar

1 cup Hot Chocolate

• 1 decade ago

The reason you are getting dizzy at the end of the day is because you are getting a majority of your calories all at once. That isn't good for you when you are losing so many calories through breastfeeding throughout the day. Knock off the dieting and just eat sensibly. Have several small meals and snacks throughout the day rather than one large one. Also, you may not be taking in enough liquids if your milk supply is suffering. Try drinking a few more glasses of water throughout the day. If you are really concerned about trying to lose weight in a sensible way, consult a dietitian. He or she can develop a meal plan for you that will help you lose weight without feeling ill and without your milk supply suffering.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

this diet works.. but just to warn you 2-3 days you get off that diet you will be having flu symptoms for a week... dont do that diet unless you like going poop ever minute. eat lean cuisines! special K waffles or cereal in the morning and for lunch and dinner have a lean cuisine! then have a speciak k bar for dessert or a skinny cow ice cream bar or a yopliat fat free yogart youll loose 10-15 pounds in 2 weeks. 1200 calories a day!

• heyner
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Specialk.com Diet

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't think that dieting is a good idea while nursing. You are still eating for 2 so be careful and consult your doctor or your child's pediatrician.

• 4 years ago

Fruits have sugar, it's natural, but some fruits can even be bad for you. Veggies are a lot healthier, particularly the green ones.

• 4 years ago

Fruits are sweeter and take less effort to arrange, generally, so I tend to eat more fruits. Unless we could talking caned, but still, you usually heat up the veggies, so another vote for fruit.

• 4 years ago

Source(s): Remedies for Breast Enlargement http://breastenlargement.teres.info/?ta67
  • 1 decade ago

i would put off the diets until your ready to stop nursing you need all the nutrients and energy you can get wiles nursing

• 1 decade ago

You should not be messing with your calorie intake while breastfeeding! You need to make sure you are taking in enough calories to produce milk. If you don't, your milk will dry up. That's why you feel dizzy is because your body is burning more calories and you're not keeping what you need for yourself.

WATER WATER WATER!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.