hard drive, low space in local disk C:/?

The thing is, when I got my new hard-drive, someone (that I trust and has always helped me with computer problems) told me to leave 10GB for the local disk C:/ and the rest (140GB) for D:/ .... and now C is pretty much full.

I've left only the programs I strictly need and use, and I've no personal files in C:/ (they're all in D) and I even tried installing new programs into D: but some still go into C.

Is there a way of increasing the size of C? I tried to when I re-installed my windows, but didn't work.

It's very easy to partition your disk when you install Windows. You didn't say if you had XP or Vista. I always create a 60GB for XP and 80GB for Vista. 10GB is much to small. You can get away with 40GB for XP but NO smaller than that. You never want the free space on the OS drive to be less than 50%. After that it will impact performance.A fast drive is an empty drive. With Vista you can increase the size with Disk Management. With XP you will have to reinstall or get a partition software program.

I suggest you shouldn't resize the partition, or you will lose the critical files. you can find some registry cleaner which can clean up the redundant files and it also can help you uninstall some needless programs. Then there will be more space in the disk C and at the same time your computer will be sped up. You can try this optimization software http://www.1Click-Optimize-Pc.com. I used it all the time and i feel it is much easier to use than other optimization software.

The Disk Cleanup utility deletes outdated log files, the uninstallers for Windows Updates, and temporary files that aren't needed anymore. It's safe to use the utility. At my present job my team manages around 400 servers. We use this tool on a daily basis to clear out disk space on C:\.

• Ron M

Yes, you will need a program like Partition Magic. With it you can adjust the size of your partitions.

have your friend do it for you for safety purposes because you might end up losing all your files when you resize the partition, try allocate at least 20G for the first partition because 10 is to small specially nowadays software's come in huge sizes

the main problem is you assined only 10gb to drive c

i think u have to take backup of important in usb drive and recreate parttion during the installation, approx 20gb for c and rest for d.