Do you think men are the new women?

Ok, so I have three friends who are all strong, smart women. All three married men who are extremely smart, educated, and seemed strong. Through the course of their marriages (all married 6+ years--no one is over 35), the men have gradually become passive aggressive, manipulative, whiny, and needy. It's... show more Ok, so I have three friends who are all strong, smart women. All three married men who are extremely smart, educated, and seemed strong. Through the course of their marriages (all married 6+ years--no one is over 35), the men have gradually become passive aggressive, manipulative, whiny, and needy.

It's true, I can't enumerate all of the details, but I have heard example after example over the years. My friends will communicate directly, whereas the husbands communicate by implying what they need, then mope, whine, or be passive-aggressive when they don't get it (often because they never asked for it--the implied it.)

One of my friends, said that she wonders if this is a natural stage that occurs in the evolution of gender equality because for so long, men didn't know what women were capable of since they had fewer options than men. She speculated that men are now seeing what women are capable of, and it makes them insecure.

These women, btw, are not ball-busting, radical feminists, (radical feminists are those who think women ARE better than men, which is asinine, IMO) just to proactively redress that obvious and thoughtless response. They are sensitive, responsive, and feminine. And, they are strong.

So, what's the deal, in your opinion? And, how do traditional gender roles impact your relationship with your spouse? Thoughts?
Update: Wow guys. I bow to several of these insightful comments! Thanks so much for sharing your opinions--thumbs up to all for the fascinating discussion!! Now, where exactly does one find assertiveness training?! :)
Update 2: LOL to Space Cadet. Actually for all but one, sex life is strong and initiated equally. For the one, her husband has a much lower drive, and we mourn for her daily. ;) I gave you a thumbs up for playing, but my question wasn't really about the sexual aspect of a relationship.