Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

Do fuel additives do any good?

I have a 4 cylindar Honda Accord. Do I need STP, etc?

• Rich
    Favorite Answer

Not nearly as much as their advertising claims. It's good to use "Heet" once a year just before freezing temperatures to prevent gas-line freeze and reduce water buildup (caused by condensation) in the fuel tank. Other additives may "clean" injectors or improve gas mileage, but are an added expense that may not be justifed by actual mileage improvement (if any). Since you mention STP: I always add a pint of STP oil treatment after oil change, and my engines have gone extra miles (275K on '86 318 V8 Ram, 290K on '90 3.3 V6 Dynasty, 450K on a 1.5 L Tercel) and they run sweeter.

i have found that lucas oil makes a fuel additive that works pretty well its called tune up in a bottle,again made by lucas oil i put one in about once a month and it seems to help out a bit.also theres some stuff you put in your oil i think its called compression restorer its in a blue and silver can.that stuff works good too im not convinced about any of the other crap they sell

Yes run injection cleaner in every 2st tank of gas> My diesel I run every tank> Big difference>

i use fuel injection cleaner in my car. it helps to keep the injectors clean. i don,t use anything else.

• ?

they work on older cars.