Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

Genetics help, cotransduction questions.?

I have a genetics question that I'm struggling with. I have a few ideas but I'm not sure if any are correct! Any answers of suggestions would be a great help! Thanks.

A cotransduction study involving five bacterial loci, a, b, c, d, and e, is carried out. Transductants are initially selected on the basis of the a gene. The frequency with which each of the other four genes is cotransduced with a is as follows: a with b, 47%; a with c, 56%; a with d, 63%; and a with e, 64%.

(a) Based on a quick inspection of these cotransdcution frequencies what general statement can be made about the degree of linkage between these loci?

(b) Assuming the differences in these cotransduction frequencies to be statistically significant, what do they suggest about the order of these five loci?

(c) The relative positions of two of these loci cannot be reliably stated. Identify these two loci and explain why their positions cannot be stated reliably.

(d) Can you suggest how you might go about determining the order of these two loci?

Please help!!

Favorite Answer

3a- closely linked

3b- order is a-e-d-c-b

3c- the relative position of E and D can't be reliably stated because their distance is 1%. That degree of linkage is really close that D may come before E during cotransduction.

3d- conduct a gene mapping experiment where their distance with respect to "a" will be measured.

For Q2b, I got a circle map with arg on top, his at bottom right and pro at bottom left- I didn't know how to calculate the cotransduction frequencies.

For 2a, I got 1st- his+, 2nd- pro+, 3rd- arg+, 4th- pro+ his+, 5th- arg+,his+, 6th- arg+ pro+

PS- How did you find QS 1-3 overall..they are driving me crazy (genetic mapping/gene distances are my least favorite part of the course!)..I've done half of Q1 and what I wrote for qs 2 and 3. They are due in tomorrow.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

A cotransduction study involving five bacterial loci, a, b, c, d, and e, is carried out. Transductants are initially...

Source(s): genetics cotransduction questions: https://biturl.im/iVOnm
  • Daniel

Good question. I would agree agresivness is a dominant trait , and tempament is inherited from the parents . In saying it is a dominant trait, it also means that this would be the trait inherited from the parent , rather than say the submissive trait from the other parent . As some one else said , sometimes (and only sometimes) genetic traits can be overcome with goood traing etc , other times this is just not the case

Cotransduction Frequency