Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

I am doing the low carb diet for the first time. I purchased Atkins Caramel Cookie Dough Bars and it states?

2 net carbs, but I don't understand how that is possible because there are 17 g of carbs and 9 g of dietary fiber... so shouldn't that be 8 g carbs? Please explain. Thanks!!

• Favorite Answer

Because it uses sugar alcohols (maltitol) as a sweetener. So they're not counting the carbs from those.

There is debate as to whether these should be counted as carbs or not. Some people react to them like regular carbs, some don't. Some get gastro effects from them.

Basically - avoid the bars.

Dr. Atkins developed them for people who absolutely HAD to have some sort of chocolate bar, but really it's recommended that you stick to real food.

Substituting high carb crap for low carb crap is not how Atkins is meant to be done.