Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

assisted suicide, right or wrong?

i have to do a debate at uni on assisted suicide and cant think of many reasons against it. can anyone think of reasons why assisted suicide is wrong and should remain illegal in the uk? ( i dont necessary want it to be illegal personally, its just a topic we were given)

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If your position is con; Euthanasia/assisted suicide or mercy killing is all already happening illegally, if we were to legalize it, the rate of improper use would certainly get out of hand, its already on that very path when it is illegal. It would undermine our very laws, therefore the laws past for it would never be foolproof. If we put a religious spin to it, doctors will be playing God, and certainly allot of it would go to there head. It has no actual link to their job, they save lives, they do not end them. If legalized it would become an easy way out, even with patients who are not terminally ill.

• 1 decade ago

Wrong., wrong, wrong.

In every country it is available it has been a disaster. It legitamises neglect of people who could be treated. I know of many cases of assisted suicide which have been inappropriate. However it is the efffect that it has on the publics attitude towards the sick that is the biggest problem.

The public are only being fed one side of the arguemnt on the news. Of course there are people with degenterative disorde who need helping out of this world in the most dignified manner. Hoever there is a big differnce between not prolonging life artificially and actively killing someone.

If it ever becomes acceptable to kill in this way then there will be no incentive to find remedies for conditions such as brain cancer, MND, MS, dementias, etc. Assisted suicide is the wrong solution to a difficult problem.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

depends on why they ask for assisted suicide. if they are feeling down then no it is wrong and they should be sought help. but if they are dying and in pain from an illness such as cancer then i think they shoul be allowed to be helped to die as no-one should have to go through that amount of suffering.

animals can be put to sleep to stop the pain so why cant we do this with humans also? if they dont want the pain and suffering from an illness then why should they go through excrucating pain for many years?

• 1 decade ago

Life is full of change. I don't know why someone would choose to end their life when they don't even know what is in store for them in the future. Miracles happen, people tend to give up, focus on everything that is bad and take the easy road. They may get to "the other side" and see that things were going to change...that would not be good.

Plus your life isn't just about YOU...it's about the people that you've brought into your life and become close to.

Until we know how to clearly see the future...we should just let our lives pan out.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Suicide is wrong because it is murder. (Murdering ones self) Assisted suicide is also murder and therefore is wrong. Suicide in itself is a horrible thing to do. Not only is it selfish to kill yourself and force all of your family and friends to mourn you untimely loss, but it is just a cowards way out. Life sucks, then you die, get used to it. If I have to live and put up with this miserable life so does everyone else, no skipping out early, everyone else gets to suffer just as long as I have to.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its assisted suicide of course its going to stay illegal

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Good question,

All depends on the person really, try asking someone who is in constant pain then ask a do-gooder who thinks he has the answer to everything, two different replies but both legitimate,

• 1 decade ago

Just give me the word emma, I will assist you.

• 1 decade ago

because, if it was passed that you could do it then, it could be used as a defence in lots of murder cases. if a ill persons carer disided they had, had enough they could kill them and be let off for murder.

• 1 decade ago

I think its right but I also think that other actions should be taken e.g. permission of doctors, doctors present at the time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.