an airplane mechanic?

I keep hearing an airplane mechanic is a great job to get into. But i have a few questions... the school you will need first of all? What is required and is it hard?? Second... What would the pay prolly be? not only starting out but in the future if you can get good. and third... would it be a promising career for someone who prolly could never get into the medical career??

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

airplane mechanics have a very difficult job, depending on what scale. it requires alot of experience, several licenses, and alot of overtime around holidays/peak seasons. if you want to be the airframe and powerplant mechanic (A&P)

The airframe includes the wings, fuselage, brakes, tail assembly, and the oil and fuel tanks. The power plant is the engine and propellers (if used) of the aircraft.

* Adjust, align, and calibrate aircraft systems using hand tools, gauges, and test equipment.

* Examine and inspect engines or other components for cracks, breaks, or leaks.

* Test engine and system operations using test equipment.

* Listen to engines to detect and diagnose malfunctions.

* Use tools such as ignition analyzers, compression checkers, distributor timers, and ammeters.

* Take apart and inspect parts for wear, warping, or other defects.

* Maintain aircraft systems by flushing crankcases, cleaning screens, greasing moving parts, and checking brakes.

* Assemble and install electrical, plumbing, mechanical, hydraulic, structural, parts, and accessories.

* Use hand tools and power tools.

* Remove or install engine using hoist or forklift truck.

* Read, understand, and work from aircraft maintenance manuals and specifications.

* Modify air or spacecraft systems, or components.

* Ride aircraft and make necessary in-flight adjustments and corrections.

OH and hope you never forget simple things like putting covers on wind tubes, nuts and screws, because even the smallest problems could cause a aircraft to fall out of the sky and the air crash investigator will find the exact cause and if its because of the mechanic errors he has to put that in the report(youd be surprised how many planes have gone down and burned because of the mechanic error)

• 1 decade ago

The occupation does pay well if you work and apply yourself. Here in America there is a shortage of good mechanics and a good mechanic can make over 100K a year and more. Not many pilots can say that anymore.

The only difference from doctors and aircraft mechanics is the books we study. You can be what ever you want if you apply yourself.

I have my own aviation web site at: http://www.stacheair.com and under mechanic tool box is lots of information on being an aircraft mechanic.

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: GENERAL

To be eligible for a mechanic certificate and associated ratings, a person must be at least 18 years of age; be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language (with certain exceptions permitted); be able to meet the Experience, Knowledge, and Skill Requirements for at least one rating and pass all the prescribed tests within a 24-month period.

KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS: Airframe Powerplant General

An applicant for a mechanic certificate or rating must pass a written test covering the construction and maintenance of aircraft appropriate to the rating sought. The applicant must pass all sections of the written test before applying for the oral and practical tests (with certain exceptions permitted for certificated mechanic school students). Written tests are normally administered by computer testing designees at computer test centers.

SKILL REQUIREMENTS:

After successfully passing the General, Airframe, and Powerplant written examinations, each applicant for a mechanic certificate or rating must pass an oral and a practical test for that rating. These tests cover the applicant’s basic skill in performing practical projects on the subjects covered by the written test for that rating. An applicant for a Powerplant rating must show his/her ability to make satisfactory minor repairs to, and minor alterations of propellers.

These examinations will be given by a Designated Mechanic Examiner (DME) at a place with the materials and facilities necessary to satisfactorily cover the scope and detail of the tests. A DME is authorized to charge a mutually agreed upon fee for the service.

Attached is a list of Suggested Study and Reference Materials and a list of DMEs and computerized (written) test sites.

Oral & Practical Exam : 43 Technical Subjects

Oral & Practical Examination Fees $500 and up (according to area)

Computer examination fees are the responsibility of the student $80 to $150 (according

The Oral & Practical Licensing Exam

The Oral & Practical Exam is the final phase of your certification process. The exam typically takes 1 to 2 days depending on whether you are obtaining one or both ratings. As an examiners I take pride in mycredibility and will provide you with a credible and fair exam. As your DME I will work hard to assure your testing experience will be as stress free as possible.

The Practical Exam will be conducted per the FAAs Practical Test Standards. Please review the PTS and become proficient with all projects.

To view the F.A.A. Practical Test Standards follow the link below:

Link to Practical Test Standards (PTS).

Please visit our web page listing the 24 core competencies (projects) listed in the PTS (24 Core Projects). Become proficient at these 24 Core Projects by practicing the projects.

Source(s): A&P/IA aircraft mechanic Aviation Author http://www.stacheair.com
  • mike i
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

LMAO@ Shilpa R, that had me crackin up for some reason,lol!

Some idiots just cant take a joke!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.