Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What are the minimum conditions for an airport to be VFR?

I think one is more than 3 miles visibility, but i'm not sure of the others.

Thanks

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

for VFR conditions to exist ant an airport, a ceiling of at least 1,000 feet is required and visibility no less than 3 statute miles.

JTK you may want to hit the books again. its 3 miles and 1000 ft - ceilings are always given AGL - the question has nothing to do with cloud clearances nor does it relate to densly populated areas etc.

vis doesnt have to be more than 3 miles but at least that. Ceiling does not have to be more than 1000ft but at least that.

• ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Vfr Conditions

• 1 decade ago

1000' and 3 miles is what will qualify for VFR in most airports airspace. Should you find an airport in class G airspace, the weather at the airport for VFR requirements could be as low as 1 mile/clear of clouds.

Check out the Airman's Information Manual Chapter 3, sections 1 and 2 for all the details. There's a whole bunch of other really nice to know stuff in that publication as well.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What are the minimum conditions for an airport to be VFR?

I think one is more than 3 miles visibility, but i'm not sure of the others.

Thanks

Source(s): minimum conditions airport vfr: https://shortly.im/yw4CM
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Generally speaking, if the ceiling (broken or overcast cloud bases) are more than 1,000 feet above the ground, and the visibility is three miles or more, the weather is VFR

• 1 decade ago

at least 3 mi vis.

ceiling needs to be appropriate that you can fly high enough off of the ground (1000 ft AGL congested or densly populated places) but also 500 ft below the clouds (or 1000 above if you somehow make it above them w/o going IFR

if it is an airport in the middle of nowhere I think you could get away with a 500 ft ceiling (although who would want to)

Source(s): student pilot
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

To be an airport where planes can land

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.