Question about dying hair?

Does it mess up your natural hair color?

And how hard is it to keep it up after dying your hair?

Favorite Answer

Are you dying temporarily, semi-permanently, or permanently? What is your natural hair color? What color are you dying to?

I really don't know the specifics, but I'll still try to answer to the best of my ability. If the hair color you are switching to is significantly lighter or darker than your natural hair color [for example: blonde to black, dark brunette to bleach blonde], then you are at risk for changing your hair color a bit even after the dye washes out. Like, if you have dark hair, and you dye it much lighter, your natural pigment might have a lighter tone [not the same color as you dyed it, but a lighter color than your original color]. Same goes vice versa. ALSO, if you dye and it's not permanent hair color, then it might stay in a bit longer than the box says if your hair is lighter than the color you are dying it. I recently dyed my dirty blonde hair an auburn color, and it was supposed to come out after 28 shampoos, but I've had it for months. If you're talking about permanently dying your hair, then you'll need root touch-ups every few weeks to a month or so depending on how fast your hair grows.

• Corri

You can't get your natural color back because you removed the pigment. You have to fill with a gold tone before you color because you have removed the pigment when you bleached or the brown would've stayed. Don't use "box color" it's unpredictable & contains metallics that can leave permanent lines in your hair if you change color products. Go to Sally's Beauty Supply they have more professional products & they can assist you in your purchase & the prices are better. Depending on color every 4-8 weeks.

Source(s): stylist
  • Adrian

Whatever you do, DO NOT get the box dye from the store. That can really mess your hair up, let the pros do it.

Box dye is completely different than what they use in a salon.

I have had friends hair turn gray after too many dyings of box dye.

It doesn't really "mess up" your natural color.. it changes it.

As far as keeping up with it.. you usually dye it again after the regrowth comes back. The regrowth is your natural hair color at the roots after it grows after a couple of months. If you don't keep re-dying it doesn't look good.

Source(s): I get my hair dyed.

You'll need a touch up on your roots about every 4-6 weeks. It is not damaging to your hair if you get it done at the salon, but I can't say for box coloring.

Source(s): Cosmetologist

Unless you really damage your hair with bleach, it probably won't harm your hair for the most part. And keep up really just depends on the color you are dying your hair. Usually people do touch ups every 4 weeks.

No it doesn't mess up your natural hair coulor!!

It really is not hard at all - I have been doing it for 3 year (& i am just 15).

Trust me it is OK! you will look GREAT!!

I am a hair dresser! It is fine

yes it kills your natural hair.

dont dye it too much or you'll lose your hair by the age of 30.

leave it natural im sure its pretty!

its not hard to keep it up though lol

its not hard to keep up. and once you dye it you cant go back to your natural hair color unless you find the perfect dye and dye it back to your natural color.

• Lizzy

it totally messes and ruins your natural color

and you have to redye every 4 to 6 weeks depending on how fast it fades washes out and how fast the roots show