Pre approval for USAA VA loan takes how long?

My husband and I put in to get a preapproval with USAA for a VA loan a few days ago and we have yet to hear anything. How long does it normally take or is this a sign we are already denied?

Thanks! I'm going to call and see what is going on but it sounds like we need to just go through someone else so we dont loose a house we want! I do love USAA but they are slow!

Favorite Answer

Call USAA. My experience is that USAA always has outstanding customer service. The problem with VA loans is getting your certificate of eligibility from the VA.

I've been a USAA member since I got out of the military. Absolutely the very best insurance company in the world.

All these answers are correct, that expiration date is determined by which lender gave you the pre-approval. When you apply for the pre-approval, communicate your particular situation and negotiate the end date. But remember, a pre-approval is not an approved home loan. It's just another tool to know your financial situation and what you can afford. Do not buy at your highest price on your pre-approval. Leave yourself some room at the ceiling as mortgage payments/taxes/insurance do go up. The bank sets that high limit, more for their benefit than yours. Crunch your own numbers with all your debts/income and be comfortable with the possible mortgage payment you come up with. Good luck and shopping with a pre-approval in hand is smart!

To add to the person that said call USAA (cause VA loan processing varies all the time) I would actually go to the usaa website, and go to contact us, then send an email there.

The hold time for the mortgage area was like 18 minutes when I called on Tuesday, and unless you want to wait a while I'd just send a website message.

It takes a long time. We were waiting and waiting.... Heard nothing yet and that was Jan. We did get a pre-approval from FHA though, so we are going with that instead.

Source(s): USAA member that has applied for VA loans

This is an interesting question, and one that confused me for quite a while.

Not sure if that's correct