What are the protocols around VFR flight following?

I started my flight lessons a while back, and took a break for about a year. I would like to get back into them but I am trying to refresh my memory as much as possible to reduce the amount of refresher lessons/ground lessons I have to take. So lets say I just took off of my airfield which lies just outside of... show more I started my flight lessons a while back, and took a break for about a year. I would like to get back into them but I am trying to refresh my memory as much as possible to reduce the amount of refresher lessons/ground lessons I have to take.

So lets say I just took off of my airfield which lies just outside of Philadelphia airspace, and want to get flight following through the Bravo airspace to another airfield. Assuming I haven't yet contacted Philadelphia approach control, what would be the exact radio command to do this? If they clear me for flight following, am I also cleared through the Bravo by default or do I have to wait? If they deny me for flight following, do I then have to re-request transition through the Bravo?

I used to slip up on radio protocol all the time, and I guess I never got the hang of exactly what I was supposed to say in every situation. I want to seem competent both over the radio and too my new instructor. Thanks.