Engine misfires when cold but runs fine after warming up few minutes later?

My 97 SLS used to belong to my grandparents but old age and another car; they gave it to me. They also gave it to me because of this misfire problem it has. It sounds like it runs on 7 cylinders for the first few minutes and runs like garbage if you drive it. There is no knocks in the engine. I took it to autozone to get trouble codes and came back with a random misfire code. The car runs perfect after it is warmed up. I think it just needs a major tuneup. The car sat for 2 months when they brought it back from the dealer for a new water pump. Am I right about this problem? The car only has 82000 and is close for a tuneup.

No smoke from the exhaust except strong odor of gasoline.

Favorite Answer

Probably it just needs a new set of spark plugs.

Ja.

Usually strong other of fuel and rough idle at cold start up could meanyou have some injectors that are leaking overnight. If it were an ignition problem I believe it would misfire all the time weather cold or hot. Also how is your coolant level? If you seem to be adding coolant more frequently you could also have a minor headgasket leak. Leaking coolant into a cylinder overnigt and you start next morning will also cause a misfire until it burns off the coolant. You may not see smoke at tail pipe because it is a small leak but just enough to cause it to misfire. So take to a shop and have it stay overnight so that they can properly diagnose.

• harms

Cold Start Misfire

> trouble codes and came back with a random misfire code. The car

> runs perfect after it is warmed up. I think it just needs a major tuneup.

You are very smart. The first place to look when you get misfire is the high voltage ignition section (spark plugs, plug wires, distributors, dist rotors, coils) - basically tune up.

===

> except strong odor of gasoline

That is because of all the unburnt gasoline being sprayed out the tail pipe. That is almost certainly in need of tune up.

Good luck...

• Eric F

sounds like it's time for a tune up, AC Delco plugs, wires and a coil pack as well.

Also a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, anything over $6 is good, Seafoam if you can find it.

random misfires are caused by things like a bad plug wire, not allowing a plug to fire correctly, or enough, an old plug that can't muster the correct spark, or a dirty fuel injector not spraying fuel into the chamber correctly (this is most common).

it can also be bad oxygen sensors, vacuum leak, or worse.. leak at the intake manifold.

I would also say a minor head gasket problem. Especially about the part where you said it needed a waterpump. I once pressurized a cooling system up to 16 psi overnight and found the head gasket problem fouling out the plug until it burnt off and ran fine.

• What's an SLS?