Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

i have a whole lot of lemons from a family tree....ideas...?

Anyone know of anything i could use them for besides lemonade? idk if ive made much with real lemons before lol. thanks! if you have a fav recipe than post it if you could thank you!

Update:

did i mention im pregnant and want to eat the lemons lol but otherwise i would defiantly use them to highlight my hair lol

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

LEMON LIME DELIGHT

3 tbsp. butter

1/2 cup sugar

2 tbsp. flour

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 egg yolks, well beaten

1/3 cup lemon juice or lime juice

1/2 teaspoon grated lemon of lime rind

1 c. milk

2 egg whites

1/4 cup sugar

Allow butter to soften slightly to room temperature. Combine the 1/2 cup sugar, salt, and flour in bowl of mixer and cream until smooth. Add egg yolks one and a time beating on low speed 30 seconds after each addition.

Stir in lemon or lime juice, grated rind, and milk.

In separate bowl, beat egg whites until they hold a stiff peak, gradually adding 1/4 cup sugar. Gently fold in the beaten egg white mixture into the butter and other ingredients.

Pour into a lightly greased 1 qt. casserole or pudding dish. Place in a pan of warm water, with the water about 1 in. deep. Baking in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven 50 to 55 minutes. Serve warm or cold

OR

ZESTY LEMON DIPPING SAUCE

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup butter

1 lemon

3-4 cloves garlic, peeled

1/4 teaspoon each basil and oregano

2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley

cracked black pepper, to taste

pinch of paprika

dash of Frank's Hot Sauce (optional)

Microwave olive oil for 30 seconds, or just until hot. Add butter, paprika and herbs.

Into a blender bowl, scrape the zest of the lemon using a zester, vegetable peeler, or grater. The zest is the yellow skin on the lemon - avoid getting any of the white portion because it's bitter. The lemon flavor and oil is all contained in the yellow portion.

Squeeze the lemon juice into the blender container, removing any seeds. Add garlic and process. Allow garlic to sit in lemon juice for 2-3 minutes; this takes the "raw" edge off the garlic.

Add hot oil and butter mixture, process another 10 seconds.

For a variation, stir in a dash of Frank's Hot Sauce, Texas Pete or green or red Tabasco sauce just before serving

OR

LEMON CHICKEN

1 whole chicken

1 cup lemon juice

3 teaspoons sugar

saffron

cardamon

750 ml (about 3 cups) chicken stock

5 largely cubed potoatoes

flour

5 tablespoon olive oil

Shallow fry whole chicken in oilve oil to seal in flavour. Remove chicken from the pot after it has turned golden brown and set aside.

Prepare sauce in the same pot that chicken was cooked in by sprinkling flour into the oil left behind from the chicken; add cardammon, saffron, and pour in the stock.

Make sure stock is added slowly so that the flour turns into a paste.

When all of the stock has been added, mix in the lemon and sugar. Then add the chicken with the cubed potatoes and simmer for 1 hour on medium heat, stirring at 15 minute intervals

OR

EASY LEMON PEPPER POTATOES

6-8 baking potatoes

butter

lemon pepper seasoning

Pam cooking spray

casserole dish w/ lid

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Spray casserole dish with Pam. Peel potatoes, slice in half and then into small slices (thin wedges). Layer potatoes, lemon pepper and butter... a few dollops of butter then potatoes and then sprinkle lemon pepper (as much as desired, the more, the zestier) on top of potatoes.

Repeat until all potatoes are used ending with dollops of butter and lemon pepper on top.

Place lid on dish and put into preheated oven for 1-1 1/2 hrs, or until potatoes are soft.

Best served with meatloaf or pork chops

OR

LEMON GARLIC PORK LOIN

1-3lb Pork Loin

1 12oz bottle Mike's Hard Lemonade

2 cloves fresh garlic

1 small sweet white onion

10 whole cloves

Fresh ground black pepper

Salt (optional)

Wash meat, butterfly both halves of the loin. Chop garlic and onion. Place garlic and onion along with cloves inside butterflied loin and hold loin halves together with toothpicks.

Place in dish, toothpick side down, for marinade. Pour Mike's Hard Lemonade over meat. Add fresh ground black pepper and salt (optional) to taste.

Marinade overnight or for at least 30 minutes.

Cook loin in 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes basting occassionally with remaining marinade.

OR

LEMON CHICKEN SOUP

1 lb. ground turkey or beef

8 c. chicken stock or canned soup

6 tbsp. fresh or ground dill

2 cloves of garlic, pressed

2 fresh lemons

2 eggs

1/4 c. grated Romano cheese

2 c. cooked Orzo (Greek pasta, looks like rice)

Combine meat, dill, garlic and cheese. Roll into meatballs. Bring soup to a boil; add the juice of 2 fresh lemons to soup, then add meatballs. Simmer slowly about 20 minutes. Add cooked Orzo.

Separate egg whites; beat until foamy; then mix in yolks. Add to soup mixture and stir fast with fork until cooked, 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately. Serves 4-6

JM

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

This one is courtesy of Drusilla

Simple homemade lemon tart

- 1 pre-baked 8-inch fluted tart crust

- 4 lemons

- 4 eggs

- 1/2 cup white sugar

- 2 tbsp butter

Juice the lemons and grate 1 tsp of the rind.

Set up a double boiler and place the eggs, sugar and lemon juice into it. Turn the heat to medium and whisk the mixture CONSTANTLY until it thickens (taste after a minute or two to see if you need to add more sugar). Remove from heat and whisk in the rind and the butter while the mixture is hot. Spread it into the tart shell and chill. You can arrange fresh raspberries or blueberries on the top if you're feeling extra fancy.

• 1 decade ago

If you are like a lot of people, you will probably get tired of eating lemons after a short period of time.

If eating them is your only option, it might be an idea to find ways to freeze it. You could freeze lemon juice in small containers, in ice cube trays for use in drinks later on (whole or crushed), as lemonade in ice cube trays (with or without popsickle sticks for a frozen treat), or making recipes that can be frozen. I don't know how well the pulp or rind freezes on their own, but they should be ok in a frozen dish. The pulp might be ok in frozen lemonade or frozen lemon juice.

Lemon juice can also be used in marinades, but if you marinate things too long with lemon juice, the lemon juice can take over the flavor of whatever you are marinating.

Fresh-squeezed lemonade would be my first choice, but you can make smoothies or other similar drinks that include other fruits, especially ones that are sweet so you don't have to use as much (if any) sugar. I also like lemon in iced tea. For hot tea or sweetened iced tea, a combination of lemon juice and honey might work. Not sure about only lemon juice with hot tea, but that's a matter of personal taste.

Lemon pudding, pie, cake, and frosting are other options. I'm not big on desserts, so cake would be my first choice. I haven't heard of people putting lemon in bread, but that might be an option.

Some of the options I mentioned referred to only the juice. If you can find uses for the pulp and the rind, you will be getting the most out of your lemons.

If eating isn't your only option, it's hard to top the long list of non-food uses someone else suggested.

Leftover portions of lemons (or even whole lemons that go bad) can be added to a compost bin (or pile) if you can't find another use for them. If you don't compost but know someone who does, they might appreciate your lemon scraps. For that matter, they might appreciate any other compostable waste (veggie scraps, fruit scraps, coffee grounds, etc) you would otherwise throw in the garbage, as long as they have room for it. It cuts down on the amount of garbage you put out to the street (saving money if you pay based on how much garbage you put out), keeps it out of the landfill, makes for better gardens, and it might improve your relations with whoever takes it off your hands. It's a win/win situation. :-)

If you are unable to use all of the lemons, it would be a shame to see them go to waste. Sharing some with your friends, relatives, a needy family you know, and/or a church or other group is another option.

• 1 decade ago

make jam, cut lemon in half, discard pits and boil in salty water, rinse and repeat 2-3 times, chopped cooked and soft lemon, cook it with 50-60% sugar or 1 cup of chopped cook lemon with half cup of sugar, stir all the time until it hold ball shape when you drop a bit in cold water, put in airtight container, keep in refrigerator. Good luck

Source(s): because using only 50% sugar and no preservative agent, should keep cold to prevent mold.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

This is one of my very favorite desserts:

LEMON MELTING MOMENTS

1 pint (2 c.) heavy whipping cream

1/2 c. sugar

juice of 4 lemons

grated zest of 2-4 lemons

2 TB sweetened, condensed milk

8-10 fresh strawberries (garnish on top)

Combine all ingredients (except berries) in large, chilled bowl and beat until very thick. Divide among 8-10 parfait glasses and chill until ready to serve. Garnish each glass with strawberry

• 1 decade ago

http://www.lemonrecipes.net/

This website has lots of great lemon recipes! The only one I've tried was the lemon bars, but they were absolutely delicious!

• 1 decade ago

like one of the sayings when life gives lemons you make lemonade

• 1 decade ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.