Raven
Raven asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Scary movies, horror movies?

I am a huge movie buff and have watched almost everything that can be found at the video stores. The trouble is- nothing is truly scary or blood soaked anymore. Anyone have any ideas on some really good horror movies- in English only- that I can look up?

Some I have liked are:

(And I am well aware not all are horror- this is just to give you a hint of what I like)

Halloween (new and old)

Texas chainsaw massacre (new and old)

Dead silence

The grudge

The Others

Vacancy

Saw

Cube

Identity

Session 9

Final destination...

things like this. I have watched quite a few Asian horror films but they don't give me a fright at all- like Ju-on, Tokyo gore police, Evil dead trap, 3 Extremes, Audition, Naked Blood...etc

I also hate movies with a lot of nudity and sex (I grew up being molested and raped when I was younger, and sex just bothers me in films- very uncomfortable- please do not comment about my taste in movies!!!! ). I want something that is gripping, creepy, and bloody. A hard task, I know.

Good ideas- but I've seen everything listed, lol. I told you it would be hard!

High tension is really good...but Hostel is too porn for me- I hated it. And I'm actually a member of that site, Bloody-disgusting, as well as Screams of terror (I'm actually a featured "Scream Queen"), so I've exhausted my resources...

Hahaha yes, I have also seen Mirrors, 1408, and Ichi the Killer. I have also seen the old and new Shining, the Fog, My bloody Valentine, Night of the Demons, Scarecrows, Last house on the left (hated it), The house that screamed, Zombie, Night of the living dead, Return of the living dead, Suspiria, Popcorn, Reanimator, The Cave, Joshua, Wolf Creek, Hills have eyes, House of wax, Waxworks, Jeepers Creepers, Night of the creeps, 13 Ghosts, Gothika, Nightwatch, The ring (eew), 28 Days later (yuck), Cabin fever, Hellraiser, The descent, Sphere, Event horizon, In the mouth of madness, House of 1000 corpses, American werewolf in London, The boogeyman (dumb), They, The evil dead, All Stephen King (interesting, but not scary), Uzumaki, Tetsuo, The exorcist, Traces of death, Faces of death, Room 6, and many more...:-(

NOW there are some good ones popping up, awesome!

Cannibal holocaust I also have, and I own all of the Guinea pig series as well. Dead alive and Braindead I have, but the other ones are new to me...

Opiner, is there a way to contact you? I love your ideas.

Favorite Answer

wow, I'm impressed with your taste in horror! Most people haven't seen the selection you have and think Wrong Turn is the quintessential horror movie. Ichi the Killer is one I noticed you didn't have...its an asian one, not scary at all but VERY bloody and gross. I also watched Eraserhead for the first time last week, kind of slow and not scary, its just bleak with disturbing images. I've got one on my Netflix list called "Irreversible" thats supposedly gut wrenching violence and gore, so I'll see. Good luck!

EDIT: What about Midnight Meat Train? That was pretty good. Also, Feast is freaking hilarious if you haven't seen it yet, and totally disgusting. What are some of your favorites?

All of the SAW movies Halloween Nightmare on Elm St. Poltergeist Devils Rejects The Exorcist Night of the Living Dead Freaks Afraid Of The Dark The Exorcism of Emily Rose Enjoy your flicks!!

I would not recommend It. It's literally one of the most BORING horror films out there. The book was way better. I would, however, recommend anything from Masters of Horror, they're really good movies. Those would include Jenifer, Sounds Like, We All Scream for Ice Cream, etc.

You want something gripping, creepy and bloody? You've totally missed the biggest horror movies on the market then.

Both Hostel 1 and 2.

or you can try High Tension. That one is bloody as well. It was originally in French but they dubbed it over in English.

Check the site below, it rates movies on a scale of 1-5 how bloody and disgusting they are.

Edit-- MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN! hahahahah that movie was hilarious. Definitely bloody, but I couldn't get past the name of the movie! Who names something the Midnight Meat Train?!?!?!

• How about:

Demoni and Demoni 2?

Cannibal Holocaust

Day of the Dead

Guinea Pig Flower of Flesh and Blood

Blood Sucking Freaks

The Brotherhood of Satan

Blood Feast

Bay of Blood

The Beyond

Dead Alive

Zombie 2

If I think of any more, I'll edit.

Happy watching~

Suspiria or Opera. Anything by Dario Argento.

The Thing

(I loved that movie)

The Shining

The Exorcist

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

It

Psycho (not scary, but it will give you goosebumps)

I just have to say that CUBE was frieken Crazy!!!!! Go and see The Last House on the left, that's pretty good.......

The re-make of The Sound of Music.

• Kat

1408 had a nice twist to it.