Is there a way to ensure the dishwasher thoroughly cleans your dishes?

We bought a new house almost two years ago. The dishwasher was brand new but it never gets our dishes clean. That has been the case with every single dishwasher I've had. When I lived in apartments the dishwasher didn't get the dishes clean. What is up with that? I have tried all sorts of dishwashing... show more We bought a new house almost two years ago. The dishwasher was brand new but it never gets our dishes clean. That has been the case with every single dishwasher I've had. When I lived in apartments the dishwasher didn't get the dishes clean. What is up with that?

I have tried all sorts of dishwashing detergents ... Electrosol, Cascade, Palmolive, Sunlight ... all of them. All of the claim to get the caked on food off your dishes, but none of them do. My husband hand washes the dishes and then runs the dishwasher. They get clean that way, but I think it's only because he's washed them.

I've seen commercials for dishwashing detergent that said if you put a whole cake on a plate and ran the cycle, that product would remove all the residue and you'd have sparkling dishes. Not true. I've also tried Jet Dry and it didn't make a difference. I've also tried adding a drop of dishwashing liquid ... and bleach (which I put in my dishwater) ... no difference. If I put it on heated dry that makes it worse because then all the food that didn't come off is crusted to the plates.