Honestly in the last 20 years, what has been Mexico's worst world cup performance?

1994- We lost to Norway, beat Ireland, and tied with Italy like always. We ended up top of the group and played Bulgaria in the next round. On paper a team we could beat but the game ended up going to penalties where we lost. Interesting thing about this is that Bulgaria ended up making the semifinals after that... show more 1994- We lost to Norway, beat Ireland, and tied with Italy like always. We ended up top of the group and played Bulgaria in the next round. On paper a team we could beat but the game ended up going to penalties where we lost. Interesting thing about this is that Bulgaria ended up making the semifinals after that inspiring penalty shootout haha

1998- we beat Korea easily, tied with Belgium after starting out losing 2-0 (to me one of the most memorable games in my young life we could have won it!), and in a last minute goal tied with the Netherlands. We then played Germany in the next round and started off winning 1-0 and could have made things 2-0 but couldnt. That came back to haunt us and they scored 2 goals and won 5 minutes from the end =[

2002- We beat Croatia pretty good. We beat Ecuador playing good too with that Torrado golazo. We tied against Italy AGAIN this time after that Borgetti golazo only to see Del Piero score 5 min to the end. Once again top of the group. Then we lost to the US in the next round 2-0 despite having almost 70% of ball possesion haha but oh well we only had ourselves to blame for losing that game.

2006- We beat Iran. (Iran is a great team they played pretty good) Tied against Angola. (the ball just wouldnt go in) and lost to Portugal 2-1 thanks to Omar Bravo missing that penalty. Stupid Bravo! Then round of 16 against Argentina. Well you know. The guys played their heart out in that game and Maxi with that amazing goal just finished us off in extra time. 51% possesion for Argentina. We played one on one futbol against one of the best teams in the world. http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/edi...
Update: I agree Mexicos group stage performance was below par! But the game they put against Argentina seemed to have covered up for the group stage performance
16 answers 16