Honestly in the last 20 years, what has been Mexico's worst world cup performance?

1994- We lost to Norway, beat Ireland, and tied with Italy like always. We ended up top of the group and played Bulgaria in the next round. On paper a team we could beat but the game ended up going to penalties where we lost. Interesting thing about this is that Bulgaria ended up making the semifinals after that inspiring penalty shootout haha

1998- we beat Korea easily, tied with Belgium after starting out losing 2-0 (to me one of the most memorable games in my young life we could have won it!), and in a last minute goal tied with the Netherlands. We then played Germany in the next round and started off winning 1-0 and could have made things 2-0 but couldnt. That came back to haunt us and they scored 2 goals and won 5 minutes from the end =[

2002- We beat Croatia pretty good. We beat Ecuador playing good too with that Torrado golazo. We tied against Italy AGAIN this time after that Borgetti golazo only to see Del Piero score 5 min to the end. Once again top of the group. Then we lost to the US in the next round 2-0 despite having almost 70% of ball possesion haha but oh well we only had ourselves to blame for losing that game.

2006- We beat Iran. (Iran is a great team they played pretty good) Tied against Angola. (the ball just wouldnt go in) and lost to Portugal 2-1 thanks to Omar Bravo missing that penalty. Stupid Bravo! Then round of 16 against Argentina. Well you know. The guys played their heart out in that game and Maxi with that amazing goal just finished us off in extra time. 51% possesion for Argentina. We played one on one futbol against one of the best teams in the world. http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/edition=4395/...

I agree Mexicos group stage performance was below par! But the game they put against Argentina seemed to have covered up for the group stage performance

Favorite Answer

1994- One of my first World Cups I saw compleatly (i saw 1990 but only a couple of games) This was a great world cup, a good one for Mexico. That game vs. Irlanda se gano con huevos and the game vs. Italy was also good. Too bad ke los pinche penales nos sacaron...plus in that world cup there was drama between Hugo Sanchez and Mejia Baron, where Hugo didnt go in at extra time....why? no one really knows...

In my opinion performance: 7.5/10

1998- I think one of the most exiting world cups ive seen mexico play in. the thing was that all first round games were comebacks. vs. Korea they were loosing 1-0 and came back and won it 3-1. Vs. Belgium down 2-0, and los huevos k le pusieron and come back 2-2, one of the best second halfs ever in WC! and third game against "La Naranja Mecanica" Down 2-0 and come back to tie 2-2, with a LAST second goal from Luis Hernandez, damn that game was exiting as fcuk!! Then we get knocked out by a strong germany team, and we were up 1-0. But I remember Arellano the most in those games coming in as a sub and doing WORK!

In my opinion performance: 8.9/10

2002- One of the best WC ive seen Mexico play in, except the "surprising" loss vs. the US. which in many peoples opinion one of the worst losses in WC history for Mexico. But i know everyone remembers the Borguetti goal, in my opinion one of the best headers in FUTBOL HISTORY.

In my opinion performance: 8.0/10

2006- A good world cup, but one of the world cups with the lowest level of play by Mexico, well except against Argentina but we lost. Vs Iran it was a good game, but then the next two were really crappy. I dont know what Lavolpe was thinking making changes in the starting lineup in the middle of the tournament (Maza in Marquez spot???) Como siempre, jugamos como nunca perdimos como siempre vs. Argentina. But in my opinion one of the worst performance in the last 20 years. The only good thing about this world cup was that many Mexican players left to Europe.

In my opinion performance: 6.9/10

My answer: World Cup 2006 in Gernmany.

Source(s): opinion (finally an interesting question around here)

Mexico always do well in the World Cup... Bulgaria had a good team in 1994, as did Germany in 1998 and Argentina in 2006. I would say all of their performances have been pretty consistent. The worst I think would be 2002... yes you topped your group (although is wasn't the strongest), but losing to the US as favourites is disappointing.

It's definitely no better then 1990 World Cup. Blame it on the high altitude, Jabulani and the Wuwuzelas.. Can't believe I got the spelling right without looking it up. The players just aren't used to playing with the new balls at such a high altitude. The ball literally files. The Wuwuzelas aren't helping either.

• Kevin

hmm

ive only lived long enough to remember those 4 WCs that u mentioned.

so imo

best: '98- u guys had a killer line up. and played overall great.

worst: '06- iran and angola was nuthin to be scared about. ok game against iran. i know angola surprised some people but either way u guys should have won that game. and that game against portugal was sloppy at times and u were playing a man down. the only good game mexico played that entire tourney came against a loss against argentina. and that is because mexico always gets motivated playing against a team like that. also considering how u guys loss as well.

i think its because expectations were higher than usual since they had a very good group stage performance in '02. and in '06 i didnt see nuthin special.

Source(s): mexico always do well in group stages but can never get out of the round of 16 (thats a heck alot more than i can say about the US)

Out of those 4, I would say that our worst showing was in '06. The group play was horrible but if we had won against Argentina it would've been completely forgotten because... well we had beaten Argentina. That was a beautiful game but it doesn't cover Bravo's pk against Portugal or the overall game against Angola.

Now if you had Germany 06's group play and added on top the Mexico/US game.. then yea, that would be our worst showing combined...

• eli575

i think 2006 was our worst Performance in 2002 we competed against the greats and lost because we got desperate against the US in 98 we went up against germany and almost won and in 94 we to penalties while in 2006 we couldn't beat angola we played horribly against portugal and beat iran but come on its iran that was already set we would win though i do admit we played excellent against argentina

I believe that Mexico has a lot of potential when it comes to the world cup because they have beat many teams and done pretty well overall, but sometimes they might get cocky or too sure of themselves and lose other matches by a point or 2.

2006-Iran and Angola were not good teams. Angola had players that did not even play for club teams. Iran's goalie could not even play on a second division team in Europe. Don't get me wrong. Mexico is a good squad and country, but 2006 was nothing to write home about.

1998

1994, one of the most unlucky world cup in Mexico history, no wins, losing to penalties.

At Ticallio, I thought Mexico didn't go to the 1990 World Cup because FIFA suspended Mexico from any international competition from 1987-1991 for cheating in the olimpics.

EDIT

O never mind, I misread your comment.