Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

What are some obstacles Pink Floyd guitarist, David Gilmour faced?

I need to know a few obstacles that guitarist, David Gilmour faced throughout his life. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Ahhhh... the fame, blame, and everything in between that Mr. Gilmour faced. Being an avid reader about Floyd and a listener you can learn many things about David.

1. When David first came in with The Pink Floyd/ The Pink Floyd Experience, as they were referred to then, he wasn't an immediate replacement for Syd. He was actually brought on to help fill in and learn from Syd for at this point Syd had started being to unreliable but wasn't quite replaceable yet since he was the rock and face of Floyd. David has been quoted saying how embarrassed he was be up there playing Syds parts. Then, we seen the complete fall of Syd which put Gilmour front and center. During the beginning Gilmour said he would only play with his back to the crowd due to feeling so overwhelmed and embarrassed for what they did to Syd.

2. Gilmour took off with Floyd and helped them, along with Rick and Roger, write some truly timeless tracks. During the time frame of 1968-1973 you could slowly see how much control Roger expected come over year to year and album to album. At first those three shared more in writing of lyrics. As the years went by, especially after Echoes which was quoted by Roger as being his "first song about someone else that set things to come", you started to see Roger trying to be the ringleader. This put tremendous pressure not on just Gilmour but Rick as well.

3. "Tear down the Wall!" The next obstacle Gilmour faced was the fall of Floyd with Rogers leaving. I personally like to look to Animals as the true start of their collapse. DSOTM was when Roger really first took control but Animals is where Roger really started to not only break down the band but started his own breakdown with fans which led, in part, to The Wall album. Actually, I love this one little lyric in Animals- song DOGS- that really to me is a "premonition of things to come with the court cases and backstabbing...

"You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,

So that when they turn their backs on you,

You'll get the chance to put the knife in.

I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused.

Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used.

Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise.

If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this

maze?--- ROGER WATERS

4. The Fall and Rise of Pink Floyd... Roger had parted ways and now Gilmour was left to try and figure something out. By this point Roger had already fired Rick so it was really just Nick and David left. David and Roger both faced criticism from fans and each other. David still wanted to try and do something with Pink Floyd and so Roger and David went to court over the use of the Pink Floyd name and songs that Roger had wrote. Luckily, overall David won that battle. David was smart about it. He put up the argument that the Pink Floyd name actually belonged to Syd which the judge agreed and as some may know his sister Rose Mary was entitled to control that estate which gave back most of the rights to Gilmour and Pink Floyd LTD. to make sure the use of the name gave Syd the most royalties. Then they examined the royalties for songs like those from DSOTM and THE WALL which basically are wholly owned by Roger.

5. The Fans... The Pressure... With fame comes fans and fans can get annoying as you get older and have a family. Gilmour had become more of a family man and was truly pushed to the limit by the Floyd fans. In 1994 they done The Division Bell album. On this album Gilmour addressed the fans with songs like What Do You Want From Me. Oh the pressures of being Gilmour!!!!

Well, I think that really sums up his trials and tribulations. Cheers!

Well as far as replacing Syd B. When he took sick the pressure wasn't that extreme because Roger Waters took control IMMEDIATELY and right away he took the reigns. However, there certainly was some pressure there because Syd was already a legend in his own time. The primary obstacle and challenge that Gimlour faced was dealing with the insistent success that the album Dark Side Of The Moon acquired. When the band started to work on the album "Wish You Were Here" Gilmour started to get really emotionally confused. The fame, money, the praise form other musicians, all of a sudden he's a "Guitar God" in the Rock world. All of this started to go to his head and that was bizarre for him because he never was really out for all that as his primary reason in music Roger Waters was. Gilmour was a more balanced individual and also very well behaved. In short he started to lose himself and the sights of his true motives and goals. Down the road he eventual got a grip on himself and just looked at it as for what it was just a career.

The other primary challenge that he faced was dealing with Roger Waters and his twist of behavior as an ego maniac. A complete control freak and egotist. Waters became obsessed with taking over the whole band in full control. Gilmour was more submissive to all this but the Keyboard player Richard Wright was not. So Gilmour had to deal with them fighting all the time. Then there was mass bitterness between those 2. In short Gilmour had to put up with the primary composer Roger Waters becoming a complete Control freak. Then that caused more bitter emotions between him and Waters so he had to deal with not likening Waters to much. They were miserable together in the end. I could go on and on but there's a start

I would say having to watch his close friend, Syd Barrett, have a mental breakdown (or whatever it was) ~ and *then* having to replace him in the band would be extremely difficult emotionally.

Mentally, I'm sure he knew there was nothing he could do, and that stepping into his shoes musically was hurting no one, but can you imagine? David Gilmour and Roger Waters both were hurting for *years* afterwards. Just listen to all the heartfelt songs about insanity on both DSOTM and WYWH and it's easy to see.

I actually never knew what those songs were about until I saw the Pink Floyd: Legends on VH1. I just thought they were somewhat interested in insanity, but it was much closer to home than that.

About 20 years of Roger Waters' overbearing ego trying to control every single point of Floyd after Syd Barret's depature.

I think the fact that Roger Waters' wore a t-shirt with "1" printed on it throughout The Wall concerts performed at Earl's Court shows how much of an egomaniac Waters could be.

And then after Roger threw his giant hissy-fit and left, there were the people telling him that he didn't have the capabilities to lead Floyd.

• Clara

I have a few favorites: Comfortably Numb, Learning to Fly, On the Turning Away. Go Pink Floyd! I can't believe David Gilmore is 65. That's older than my parents!

1) Replacing Syd Barrett was a big problem because Syd was so creative even though he quickly became an LSD casualty. David actually help Syd with solo albums which Syd was in no shape to finish without him. Another huge obstacle was having to butt heads with Roger Waters who's huge ego was quite unbelievable. Roger for instance hated Gilmore's song Wish You Were Here for instance and if he had had his way it wouldn't have been recorded.

The problems of being rich, famous, young, and relatively good looking seem to overcome even the best of us.

Source(s): Britney Spears, Mariah Carey, Chris Brown, Jim Morrison, etc.

The principal problem he had was acceptance when he had to fill in for Syd Barrett.

He had some problems with that.