Why do people care about the $165mil AIG bonuses while ignoring the fact they got $200 BILLION to begin with?

AIG was Obama's largest campaign contributer and got rewarded by billions of dollars, yet in their recent 'ad campaign' they have succeeded to divert attention away from the big bucks they didn't deserve to get, forcing taxpayers to foot the bill for their high risk investments, only focusing on the 165 million in bonuses out of the 200 billion. Is it a sign of how dumbed down the people are?

Update:

Campaign Contribution to Congress by AIG

Open secrets ^ | 09.16.08 | Perdogg

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 4:40:06 PM by Perdogg

Name Office Total Contributions

Dodd, Christopher J (D-CT)

Senate

$104,300

Obama, Barack (D-IL)

Senate

$45,111

McCain, John (R-AZ)

Senate

$41,200

Clinton, Hillary (D-NY)

Senate

$36,831

Baucus, Max (D-MT)

Senate

$24,750

Biden, Joseph R Jr (D-DE)

Senate

$19,975

Romney, Mitt (R)

Pres

$19,950

Sununu, John E (R-NH)

Senate

$15,950

Update 2:

President Obama and Sen. Dodd were the two largest recipients of campaign contributions from the beleaguered company, and the only politicians to garner six-figure amounts from AIG in 2008 — $103,100 for Sen. Dodd and $100,332 for presidential candidate Obama.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No one cares about AIG bonuses the media just wants you to think that's what the outrage is about it's really about congress giving them the billions.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The best point of the entire thing. It was made a BIG DEAL because Washington made it that way to keep the public's mind on that petty thing instead of the real important issues. Plus-- To make (fool) the public they are doing something to gain higher ratings.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's Obama's way of taking their money, winning the election, and then turning people against corporations and start a class war. Almost like he was reading a playbook or something.

• 1 decade ago

Because no matter what that money came out of taxpayers pockets and now they here that their money is going to ceo millionaires. I'd be pissed too. Oh well I am only 13

Source(s): me
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • AIG wasn't even in the top ten. Here's the list:

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/contrib.php?cycl...

Where did you hear that AIG was Obama's biggest donor?

• 1 decade ago

1. it is 190, not 200 billion

2. that money goes to keep the company alive

3. the bonuses are going directly to employees, who in tern, are partially responsible, at least to some extent, for the bankruptcy of the company in the first place

• jz
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

i'm pist about ALL the money thrown their way, but it's really a slap in the chops when those who couldn't do their job still get a freakin bonus?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is completely a diversion tactic. It is costing more to contest this than paying out what was in fact a contract.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Bah! Bah! Anybody have some grass? Where is my government salt lick?

Source(s): The pasture
  • 1 decade ago

rich people have been getting tax payers money forever. Why do you care now. it happened when nixon was president, it happened when regan was president, and it happening now. Calm down.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.