What does it mean "to bless" someone/something?

I was standing in church yesterday and I started to wonder: what exactly was it mean "to bless" a person or a thing? If you wish someone "God bless", what are you wishing that God do for/to them? Please, thoughtful responses only. This is a serious question, and I want to hear serious... show more I was standing in church yesterday and I started to wonder: what exactly was it mean "to bless" a person or a thing? If you wish someone "God bless", what are you wishing that God do for/to them?

Please, thoughtful responses only. This is a serious question, and I want to hear serious answers. Thanks everyone!
Update: I don't specifically mean saying "bless you" when someone sneezes. I'm more talking about when a priest blesses some quilts (like they did this week) or when someone says "God bless you" as a sentiment of good will. What exactly do they want God to do in these situations?