Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 decade ago

I Just Saw an Ad for Bayer Aspirin, Again (MSNBC), Saying, "The Doctor Said, the BAYER Aspirin Saved my Life",?

-Can Any Real Doctor Claim to Know this?

A.Douche, Esq., and How Can you KNOW.

John, I'm Not Disputing that it May Have Helped.

Yes Troy, I Would Have No Problem With Letting this Go, if I wasn't Repeatedly Reminded of the Deception.

Yeah Dawson, you Would Think a Big Pharm. Co. Like Bayer Would Know Cold.

Favorite Answer

If you start believing that advertising has any basis in truth, I'm going to refer you to one of our colleagues in psychiatry :)

DTC advertising is almost as annoying as medical TV shows that give an unrealistic picture of medicine.

If I have to see another Viagra ad, I might just lose it. We can visit each other in the psych ward.

Source(s): Mute the ads when they come on. It's not worth the mental anguish.

Now. I could be wrong, I'm not a doctor, but from memory, the MoA of ASA is to block COX 1/2. In the platelets, inhibition of COX1 chokes off the production of a prostaglandin necessary for platelet aggregation into a clot. This really wouldn't do all that much for an existing clot, except, I suppose prevent enlargement. Again, could be wrong, and probably am, but isn't the contribution of a secondary clot a decently significant contributor to mortality in heart attacks? When you have one clot thrown free in the arterial system, you're more than likely to form another (I'm thinking ruptured plaque here). So. Been demonstrated if I recall to have some positive effect. But aren't the real benefits of aspirin found in daily administration and lowering the frequency/size of clots formed. Bha. It's been years since I've read up on this stuff. I can't even find my notes. Like all commercials it's dramatized, scary and loaded with impending doom and black and white statements. I hate them all. Granted, they're also trying to sell to the big chunk of the population that thinks lungs are like big hollow empty balloons, and that your colon builds up thick layers of 'toxins' that have to be purged. Edit: Thought so.

Studies have shown that taking aspirin with the first signs of a heart attack decreases the chance of death by 50%. Who really cares how the information is being disseminated. All that matters is that the public becomes aware of this simple, yet potentially life saving measure. Does it have to be bayer? No.

Wow this is interesting. I really don't think it actually saved their life maybe helped prevent something be less of a shock to the body then without taking the aspirin. But I think a doctor might have known that there was a harmful effect on the body but the aspirin just eased it.

I don't think they know how aspirin works as far as saving someones life when they're having a heart attack, but many people have said it does help and I know millions of people are on aspirin regimens, myself included. I don't think the 81mg. dose is high enough. I take 2 325mg., E.C. aspirin a day.

As far as Bayer, it's only a brand name and aspirin is aspirin. Bayer is more expensive as are the other brand names and store brands are cheap. Saying Bayer saved my life is just a gimmick. All aspirin is the same.

Granted the commercial is for the brand name aspirin Bayer...but asprin does help save lives. Aspirin is an anti-platelet medication.

Anti-platelet agents are medications that prevent blood clots from forming by inhibiting the aggregation of platelets. Platelets are fragments of cells that circulate in the blood. Platelets begin the formation of blood clots by clumping together (a process called aggregation). Platelet clumps are then strengthened and expanded by the action of clotting factors (coagulants) that result in the deposition of protein (fibrin) among the platelets. Aggregation of platelets occurs at the site of any injury or laceration, but it also occurs at the site of rupture of cholesterol plaques in the walls of coronary arteries. Formation of clots at the site of an injury or laceration is desirable because it prevents excessive loss of blood, but formation of clots inside coronary arteries blocks the arteries and causes heart attacks.

mdGreg - you are absolutely correct in your supposition. The doctor could not possibly know the outcome for the patient if she had NOT taken the aspirin. Therefore, the doc can NOT know that "Bayer aspirin saved my life". So, either her doctor "lied", or the "TV patient" is lying - or both are lying.

But, this is drug advertising. And facts and truth play very small roles in that world!

Best wishes.

well the point is that bayer asprin or almost any asprin actually, if it is taken during the onset of a heart attack can in fact thin the blood enough to lessen the severity of the heart attack greatly.

so to claim that it helped save a life coud very well be true.

• Aspirin saves lives. Incidentally it can be from BAYER

The benefits of a daily intake of 81 mg of aspirin a day, as well as taking a full sized aspirin (325mg) during a heart attack has been well documented in the medical literature for over 15 years. Yes, real M.D.s do know this and can and do make that claim

Source(s): 53 years, 10 months, 18 days and counting as a female type 1 diabetic who takes vitamins and dietary supplements daily, including 81 mg of aspirin, because of articles in Science News. http://www.sciencenews.org

Aspirin makes your blood thinner. If you have a heart attack a little bit more blood will be able to circulate past a blood clot and potentially keep more heart tissue from dying.