Should life really mean life?

I asked this question in a different category which more teenagers would answer in and I thought I may as well asked in a more "adult filled" category too. I'm not 100% sure of the US way of dealing with criminals but in the UK when people are sentenced to "life" they aren't really... show more I asked this question in a different category which more teenagers would answer in and I thought I may as well asked in a more "adult filled" category too.

I'm not 100% sure of the US way of dealing with criminals but in the UK when people are sentenced to "life" they aren't really being sentenced to life -they're sentenced to a shorter period of time e.g. 25years.

In Scotland, out prisons are getting so full criminals are getting out earlier than they're meant to - which to me is appalling but anyway...

Should life really mean life?

State your age and where you're from if possible!
(link to the other category I posted in - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;... )