Should life actually mean life?

Many of my questions tonight are based on work i'm doing for school, I just want more opinions - mainly because I should use arguments for and against and it helps to see from others perspectives. I prefer to collect information from people my age because I already know a lot of the perspectives from adults,... show more Many of my questions tonight are based on work i'm doing for school, I just want more opinions - mainly because I should use arguments for and against and it helps to see from others perspectives. I prefer to collect information from people my age because I already know a lot of the perspectives from adults, and they quite often differ from teenagers perspectives.

I'm not 100% sure of the US way of dealing with criminals but in the UK when people are sentenced to "life" they aren't really being sentenced to life -they're sentenced to a shorter period of time e.g. 25years.

In Scotland, out prisons are getting so full criminals are getting out earlier than they're meant to - which to me is appalling but anyway...

Should life really mean life?

State your age and where you're from if possible!