Will my son outgrow his fear of Elmo?

My 6 month old son is deathly afraid of Elmo. Whenever he sees Elmo on TV or we have been in a toy store and I have showed him the Elmo Live doll, he has burst into tears. The thing is, a family member just bought him an Elmo Live doll as a gift, and I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to be rude and ask where they bought it so we can return it because he's terrified of it, but I also don't want to keep it if he'll never play with it. Is he likely to outgrow this fear soon? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

My son is the same way and he is 6 months as well, lol.

I am still freaked out by that laughing elmo. I don't like it so I don't expect my son to like that little furry creature. ugh.

I know you're seeking help but this is the cutest/funniest thing I've ever read on here! Afraid of Elmo... awww poor guy!

What makes him afraid of Elmo? Just the movement or the voice?

Is it only Elmo??

Probably not if you want the truth. My neice is 5 and has always been afraid of Elmo and I mean crying and screaming when she was younger. She still gets teary eyed and shivers when she sees him and God forbid Sesame Street be on tv.

Personally I find him a little creepy myself.

I'm deathly afraid of Elmo and I'm 26, lol.

He may stop being so afraid, but I doubt if he will ever like it. Just take the doll to Walmart/Target, they probably carry it and will take it back.