Flowers for Algernon?

What do you think of Flowers for Algernon? i read it in class and im in eighth grade, so give me your opinion!

Favorite Answer

I look at it as being about Charlie, period, separately from his intelligence-enhancing surgery. It's about who he is a person, and he how he changes throughout the story: before the surgery; after the surgery and while he's super-intelligent; after he's learned the effect is only temporary and his intellect starts fading; and after he's back where he started from.

I thought it was a pretty good book. There is a both a novella-length version and a full-length book. Since you're in 8th grade, you probably read the novella. The book has some sex scenes in it, so I'd be surprised if the school were to assign it as a class read. However, the novella is also good, and if you liked the story, I highly recommend the full-length book - and not just for the sex scenes. It tells Charlie's story in more detail, and makes it easier to see how his personal journey goes.

• i thought it was refreshingly inspiring.