Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Is it possible to combine fantasy/sci-fi?

Is it possible for a fantasy/sci-fi plot to be combined? If so does anyone know any authors or novels that have acheived it?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Dozens, even hundreds, depending on how you draw the line.

You have I Am Legend by Richard Matheson , which takes vampires and re-imagines them as victims of an infectious plague.

R.A.Heinlein's Glory Road begins as straight out fantasy, but later explains things into pseudo science. Waldo Inc. proposes scientific laws for magic, as does his Magic Inc.

Roger Zelazny's Changeling postulates a world that takes two different paths, one universe becoming one of magic, the other of science.

Then there are all the ESP powers used in science fiction. ESP sounds scientific, but they've never had a laboratory proven example of it. So is something like Firestarter just a sci-fi gloss over witches? Is Stephen King's Carrie a sci- fi story or just another witch story?

Yet another example would be H.P. Lovecraft, who I credit as the inventor of the horror from space supernatural story. Many of his horror tales turn out to be aliens from the stars, rather than devils. So they blur the line as well.

How about Joan D. Vinge's re-imagining of the fairy tale in her novel Snow Queen?

Tales of Atlantis or Hyperborea? Sci-fi or fantasy?

You can find dozens of other examples where sci-fi authors blended sci-fi with fantasy, pretty much every major legend, myth, or fairy tale has been reworked at least once in scientific guise. One of the reasons the two genres have so long been shelved together is the impossibility of declaring one to be science fiction while the other is fantasy.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Absolutely. Taking it from the fantasy end of things (since previous answerer has covered SF), look at Ursula K. LeGuin's fantastic Hainish Cycle. That has some scifi elements (Earth exists, for one), but on the whole, I would say that it leans more towards fantasy, because it assumes things that do not presently have the capacity of being proven true.

Similarly, China Mieville's Bas-Lag works (which are great as well) lean towards scifi somewhat, although they take place in a fantastical world. Their plots rely on scientific analysis, exploration, and codification of the weird world around them. I'd figure many 'New Weird' novels fall into that categorization.

Mervyn Peake's 'Gormenghast' novels start out in a closed fantasy world (of Gormenghast Castle, the lair of the twisted Groan family and their even more twisted servants and assorted hangers-on) but turn into scifi, with technological trappings, in the latter part of the series.

And then there's Samuel Delany's 'Dhalgren.' How in the world would you classify that? It's brilliant, weird, and in my book defies categorization (although Wikipedia seems to think that it can be pinned down as science fiction.)

It's possible to have the two--but I'd say the closer your fantasy and scifi both are to real world setting, the easier they are to cross. It's much easier to write a steampunk adventure, with magic, going to Mars, then it is to write Clan of the Cave Bear, with spaceships and wizards.

Just my $0.02.

• 1 decade ago

Dune: Frank Herbert

Star Wars (novel wise the ones by Timothy Zahn that follow on after Return of the Jedi)

Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne

You'll find there is a whole stockpile of such books that don't rely on hard-fi and utilise fantasy more than diodes.

Hope this helps

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.