Does acupuncture work?

What EVIDENCE is there that Acupuncture works?

Best Answer

Acupuncture literally means 'needle piercing," the practice of inserting very fine needles into the skin to stimulate specific anatomic points in the body (called acupoints or acupuncture points) for therapeutic purposes. Along with the usual method of puncturing the skin with the fine needles, the practitioners of acupuncture also use heat, pressure, friction, suction, or impulses of electromagnetic energy to stimulate the points. The acupoints (acupuncture points) are stimulated to balance the movement of energy (qi) in the body to restore health.

The body continually generates tiny but detectable electrical discharges. This electrical field influences the growth, maturation, and functioning of some types of cells. It is known that acupuncture points are concentrated in regions of low electrical resistance. Studies have shown that there is a correlation between the electromagnetic fields in the body and the channels or meridians. So, this electrical theory of acupuncture suggests that acupuncture works by influencing the body's electromagnetic fields. Acupuncture points have certain electrical properties, and stimulating these points alters chemical neurotransmitters in the body.

The American Academy of Medical Acupuncture (2004) states: "In e United States, acupuncture has greatest success in the treatment of musculoskeletal pain.. They say that acupuncture may be considered for the conditions in the list below, noting: "

• Abdominal distention/flatulence

• Acute and chronic pain control

• Allergic sinusitis

• Anesthesia for high-risk patients or patients with previous adverse responses to anesthetics

• Anorexia

• Anxiety, fright, panic

• Arthritis/arthrosis

• Atypical chest pain (negative workup)

• Bursitis, tendinitis, carpal tunnel syndrome

• Certain functional gastrointestinal disorders (nausea and vomiting, esophageal spasm, hyperacidity, irritable bowel) *

• Cervical and lumbar spine syndromes

• Constipation, diarrhea • Cough with contraindications for narcotics

• Drug detoxification

• Dysmenorrhea, pelvic pain

• Frozen shoulder

• Headache (migraine and tension-type), vertigo (Meniere disease), tinnitus

• Idiopathic palpitations, sinus tachycardia

• In fractures, assisting in pain control, edema, and enhancing healing process

• Muscle spasms, tremors, tics, contractures

• Neuralgias (trigeminal, herpes zoster, postherpetic pain, other)

• Paresthesias

• Persistent hiccups

• Phantom pain • Plantar fasciitis

• Post-traumatic and post-operative ileus

• Selected dermatoses (urticaria, pruritus, eczema, psoriasis)

• Sequelae of stroke syndrome (aphasia, hemiplegia)

• Seventh nerve palsy

• Severe hyperthermia

• Sprains and contusions

• Temporo-mandibular joint derangement, bruxism

• Urinary incontinence, retention (neurogenic, spastic, adverse drug effect)

• Weight Loss

In 2003, the World Health Organization (WHO) published a review and analysis of controlled clinical trials on acupuncture. They listed the following as "Diseases, symptoms or conditions for which acupuncture has been proved - through controlled trials - to be an effective treatment":

• Adverse reactions to radiotherapy and/or chemotherapy

• Allergic rhinitis (including hay fever)

• Biliary colic

• Depression (including depressive neurosis and depression following stroke)

• Dysentery, acute bacillary

• Dysmenorrhoea, primary

• Epigastralgia, acute (in peptic ulcer, acute and chronic gastritis, and gastrospasm)

• Facial pain (including craniomandibular disorders)

• Headache

• Hypertension, essential

• Hypotension, primary

• Induction of labour

• Knee pain • Leukopenia

• Low back pain

• Malposition of fetus, correction of

• Morning sickness

• Nausea and vomiting

• Neck pain

• Pain in dentistry (including dental pain and temporomandibular dysfunction)

• Periarthritis of shoulder

• Postoperative pain

• Renal colic

• Rheumatoid arthritis

• Sciatica

• Sprain

• Stroke

• Tennis elbow

Additionally, the WHO listed several dozen additional conditions "for which the therapeutic effect of acupuncture has been shown but for which further proof is needed".

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Does acupuncture work?

Source(s): acupuncture work: https://tinyurl.im/448Kf

These are scientifically proven benefits of acupuncture

1. Eases your aching back

2. Boosts the effectiveness of medicines

3. Soothes indigestion

4. Counteracts radiation side effects

5. Dulls persistent headaches

6. Ends obesity

Yes acupuncture really works but that depends on the best experts from renowned clinic .

I got identified with herpes virus (type 2) about four years ago, when I was still attending college and had a stupid one-night stand. I understand loads of young women say this, but I swear I had never done that sort of thing before. I just made a massive mistake that one time and all of a sudden it seemed like I was going to have to live with the implications for the rest of my life. The worst part was feeling I could never date guys again. In the end, who wants to go out with someone who has sores around her "you know what" area? But since a friend shared this video https://tr.im/rvmFZ everything got better.

Not only was I able to eradicate all remnants of the herpes simplex virus from my body in less than three weeks, but I was also able to begin dating again. I even met the guy of my dreams and I'm so fortunate to write that just last week, in front of everybody in a busy restaurant, he got down on one knee and proposed to me!!! This method provided the chance to be happy and experience true love again. Now I hope that I can help others too by sharing this story.

• Tink

Well, here are the results that the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine have found...

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/acupuncture/

Click on "introduction to accupuncture" and it gives the efficacy findings down the page

And you can plug any condition and accupuncture in here and find the results of all the peer reviewed studies on it.....

National Library of Medicines Search Engine - "PubMed"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

So there is the evidence....now the verdict is another matter, and it would appear the jury is still out deliberating

Source(s): Tink - Natural born cynic and trained researcher